Guild sighting / David Crosby

dbirchett

Reaction score
Ralf, the Duane Eddy was played by Stills, which you can see in the picture that you posted. It has to be a 400 as the 500 has a bound headstock and the G logo where the one that Steve is playing has a torch and is unbound.

Stills had the neck replaced and whoever did it put on a neck with a bound headstock and Gibsonesque inlays, but it is the DE-400 shell that he used. That would be the one that Crosby is using in the picture that I posted. For some reason, they did not use a Guild neck. Mario Martello was the luthier that added a 12 string neck to a Gibson Crest that became the electric 12 string David now uses. Perhaps he was the one that added it to Stills DE-400.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ralf, the Duane Eddy was played by Stills, which you can see in the picture that you posted. It has to be a 400 (as the 500 has a bound headstock and the G logo where the one that Steve is playing has a torch and is unbound.)
Oh, I think I misunderstand your initial post.
Sure that is a DE-400 with Chesterfield inlay and unbound headstock, as I also said in my post: http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...David-Crosby&p=1642740&viewfull=1#post1642740

I thought you talked about this picture below and the 6 string with lipstock headstock which Stephen Stills plays! That was my misunderstanding.
But you talked about the 12 string Crosby plays!
So you say that 12 string Crosby plays in this picture is a converted Guild Duane Eddie body!
With the very visible dark line in the binding it looks more like a DE-500 body, but maybe it was that DE-400 that Stepehen Stills had, maybe during the conversion even the binding was replaced, who knows. Hans might know a bit about that guitar.

csn2x.jpg

Anyway, I am glad we sorted out my initial misunderstanding. :smile-new:

Ralf

Last edited:

dbirchett

Reaction score
Ralf, there may be some issues as the site where I found the picture has taken some liberties with the photo to present it as a 12 string bass. There is an element of photoshop in it with the tuners, as they photoshopped several other photos to make it appear that several musicians were playing 12 string basses. I tried to find the unaltered version of the picture without success.

As for this being the same guitar as the one in the picture of Stills that you posted, that is supposition on my part. Stills says that he played a Guild Duane Eddy but had it converted to a 12 string which Crosby played for a time. This shows Crosby playing a Guild, presumably Duane Eddy model, that has been converted to a 12 string. I am making the assumption that this is the guitar to which Stills is referring. Maybe there is a second one.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Don: That's funny, I was already wondering about those huge looking tuning keys! You know what's on the internet must be right! ;-)
I found the "unaltered" version:

scum_06.jpg

And you see it here at minutes 03:56 and 04:24 to 04:37 or so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7bBNuXTW9g

Ralf

Last edited: