Guild sighting / David Crosby

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nice link! This is when Crosby was having his "issues". I saw them live during this time frame, he was really out of it, slipping backstage to get high. And you can see in this video how stiff and wooden he is. He sure has made a miraculous comeback.

Kind of a cool story about his Martin D-18 that he had converted to a 12 string in the '60's:

"Crosby's unique 12-string has led a life nearly as eventful as its owner. It was stolen while he was staying at a treatment center in Pennsylvania and subsequently sold. A chance discovery by Crosby's wife eventually gave Crosby the name of the purchaser, but that individual refused to even discuss relinquishing the guitar. Years later, Graham Nash quietly took up the quest; he discovered the man's address, and - through a representative who handled negotiations in person - made him an offer he couldn't refuse. The guitar was returned to Crosby during a birthday celebration, to his complete surprise."

walrus

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
Very cool! I didn't know Crosby was ever a Guild guy. So, 312 or 212?

' Strang

/

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd say this is a late 70's or early 80's G-312.
Similar to the one Neil Young played in 1976 (but David Crosby's had position dots on the fretboard that were added in about 1978):

nyguild212.jpg

Here's another picture of David Crosby playing a Guild D-50 (with upside down TRC) at the Frost Amphitheater in Stanford/CA in 1976:

800px-David-Crosby_1976.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great link, Joe. One of my favorites of all their songs and this version is pretty great. They sound good. I've heard them sound pretty awful before, so this was good to hear. This is one of those iconic 12-string guitar songs.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Years later, Graham Nash quietly took up the quest; he discovered the man's address, and - through a representative who handled negotiations in person - made him an offer he couldn't refuse."
Some fellow named Guido, by chance?
:biggrin-new:

Reaction score
I'm a little late on this post but I'm learning Southern Cross and watched the youtube video. Crosbys' played 12 strings forever, played a Gretsch 12 with the Byrds (best band ever). But I have never seen Young with a Guild.

guildman63

Reaction score
And if I'm not mistaken didn't Stephen Stills play an X-500 at one time? Hey, I'm an electric guy. :numbness: :pride:

Watasha

Reaction score
I'm a little late on this post but I'm learning Southern Cross and watched the youtube video. Crosbys' played 12 strings forever, played a Gretsch 12 with the Byrds (best band ever). But I have never seen Young with a Guild.

If you Google "Neil Young Guild" he's seen playing a Guild Jumbo in an ancient pic. He's also been known to play an old M20 (with a pickup) live. I don't think it's his guitar actually but he plays it enough to gather that he likes it enough to keep "borrowing" it.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Veering to Neil Young and his Guilds:

Neil Young 1965 playing a F-50, with Kolb tuners with white diamond-shaped buttons in the Riverboat Coffee House, Yorkville, Toronto, Ontario:

NY1965-2.jpg

ny1965-3.jpg

(Source)

Neil Young 1966 with a Guild DE-500 (bound f-holes). (Guitar borrowed from the Dillards)
(The guitar is also visible in this picture of the Dillards)

1966_guild_borrowed_from_the_dillards.jpg

Neil Young using a G-312. According to sugarmtn.org you can hear this guitar on versions of Pocahontas from 1976.

guild_12string_1976.jpg

"At the start of the 2010 Twisted Road tour Neil appeared onstage with a dark red...mahogany Guild M-20. Daniel Lanois had loaned the...guitar to Neil during the Le Noise sessions earlier in the year. The guitar has a L.R. Baggs M1 pickup across the soundhole and is played through a vintage ‘50’s Fender tweed amplifier. It can be heard on Peaceful Valley Boulevard and Love And War on the LeNoise record. Later, Neil used this guitar during the 2011 Buffalo Springfield Reunion tour on songs such as On The Way Home, Burned and Broken Arrow."

Guild M-20 in "Long May You Run" (Oct 2, 2010): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR47-4UoLPg

guild_m20_2010_2.jpg

(Source)

Ralf

Last edited:

dbirchett

Reaction score
Stills played a Duane Eddy model, either a 400 or a 500. He ended up giving it to Crosby who had it made into a 12 string.

I think this is it:

csn2x.jpg

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Stills played a Duane Eddy model, either a 400 or a 500. He ended up giving it to Crosby who had it made into a 12 string.
I was looking at that picture and could not make my mind up if that "lip top" headstock is a Guild or a Gibson...At least in the older picture I posted before he played a blonde DE-400 with the newer "center raised" design, so your picture is much later (Dec 1969 in San Diego) but he would have an older guitar (looks like a black one). Also the headstock is bound, so that could be an older DE-500? It would not be a DE-400 at least.
And later converted to a 12 string? That's interesting! Any source for that? Just curious.
Ralf

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Last edited:

krcrisp

Reaction score
The Los Angeles Times had a 'look back' article on Neil's Rust Never Sleeps tour show in LA. (Published either Monday or Tuesday of this week) Though out of focus, he looks be be playing a high end Guild 12 string.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Though out of focus, he looks be be playing a high end Guild 12 string.
If it is this one it is a Taylor 855 which he played on the Rust Never Sleeps tour 1978. It was custom made for him by Bob Taylor and he even ordered a second one slightly later.

taylor855.jpg

Ralf