D-30?

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Real awesome finger picking and recording dreadnought. Big sound, maple is gorgeous, notes ring super clear. Bright. About the only other Guild dread I really want to own. But not in a place to quench the gas.

phinegan

Reaction score
A 90's D-30 was "the one that got away from me". For sale, used, at a local shop. Beautiful 'burst finish, played great and sounded even better. As I recall the price was quite reasonable, too.
To this day don't understand why I didn't go for it.
I think I had just purchased a Martin D-28 and wasn't quite ready for a trade, and was also not familiar with maple bodies.
Too bad.

Regards -

Dan

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Are some with maple tops as well or are they maple B&S w/spruce tops?

No D-30s had maple tops. Tops would be (Sitka) spruce. The only Guild flat top with a maple top I know of was the DC130.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks. That's what I thought. You don't hear to much of maple soundboards for flattops. I was getting a little confused from trying to get info googling the D30.

Maple's not a great choice for tops. The guitarist in one of my bands has a Gibson Starburst with a maple top, and it sounds deader than dead unplugged.

Last edited:

Alan_M

Reaction score
I've had 2 from that general era. One I bought new and sold, and my current to replace it many years and regrets later. Highly recommended.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I had an '87 and stupidly let it walk. Last year I was able to land a pristine '88. I don't think they changed much through the 90s.

They are great guitars with a bright sound, due to the maple back & sides. Plenty of volume from the arched back.

What should you expect to pay? Probably $750-$850 for a really nice one, less for something with "character".

And, welcome!

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
In it's defense, the DC130 was designed to be played electric so it had a maple top to reduce vibration and therefore feedback when played at high volumes on stage with a rock band.

friendofjaco

Reaction score
The Guilds of Grot,
That is an amazing collection you have there! Tell me about that "Prestige". I've never seen those. I like the look of that. I'm a jazz player and it looks like it would feel good playing an old standard.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Mine is an 1988. Every time I pick it up, I am reminded that it is among the finest sounding guitars I have ever played. They don't get a lot of street cred because of the laminated back -- but it's a "real" guitar with deep, deep lows, crisp highs and no muddling midrange. Mine has the most gorgeous bear claw spruce top, scalloped bracing and beautious maple sides and back -- RAGING flame.... Oh yeah, I paid $500.00 for it!