deArmond Dynasonics

Reaction score
I have a question for those of you who are lucky enough to have guitars with the deArmond pickups. Have any of you compared them to the new Gretsch Dynasonics in the Japaneese re-issue guitars? How close are these to the old ones? It is curious that Guild doesn't offer these in their guitars since Fender builds and distributes Gretsch. I am particularly taken with a certain 6197 gretsch Country Club.
Thanks John

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
.... It is curious that Guild doesn't offer these in their guitars since Fender builds and distributes Gretsch....
Do they build them? I think it's only a distribution agreement. Somebody on the list can probably say for sure.
Brad

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The DeArmond recreations on the current Gretsch guitars are not the nicest ones you can get - they're a little underwound compared to the old ones, and that can make them a little brittle and thin, and mechanically, the bobbins don't want to stay in the covers.

If you want a "as close as it gets" repro of a vintage DeArmond, the Seymour Duncan custom shop ones are that - but they're pricey. If you're lucky you can find an old one for not much more.
The TV Jones "T-Armond" pickups are still not what I'd call cheap, but a good deal more affordable, and they're really very nice pickups. They're a bit of an update, with set that's nicely balanced between lead an rhythm pickups, which is very nice, and the mechanics under the cover are simplified somewhat, which results in a pickup that doesn't squeal as easily as the old ones or the Duncans.

Both the TV Jones and the Duncans are a lot nicer than the stock new Gretsch units.

griehund

Reaction score
I could be and probably am wrong but here goes, the old DeArmond Dynasonics are not made anymore, At least not by DeArmond. Gretsch replaced them with a "reasonable facsimile" years ago. I know that Duncan makes a "custom shop" version and I believe TV Jones does also. If there are new ones coming from Gretsch, I would suspect that they are actually from TV Jones. I'm sure there are others on the forum who have more/better info.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I knew I could count on Walter for a good honest comparison. I guess If I get the Gretsch I will have to get it cheap enough to put replacement pickups in it. I just hope they don't take my $1500.00 offer...then I may have to buy the guitar.
Thanks again. John

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You could start with just the lead pickup - that would at least get you more balance between the pickups, and a more useable, less spikey sounding lead pickup.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Do they build them? I think it's only a distribution agreement. Somebody on the list can probably say for sure.
"In late 2002 a deal was struck for Fender Musical Instruments Corp. to handle Gretsch manufacturing and distribution,..." See: http://www.gretschguitars.com/support/history.php
And: "2002: Gretsch grants Fender Musical Instruments Corporation exclusive rights to develop, produce, market and distribute Gretsch guitars worldwide." See: http://www.gretsch.com/company-timeline and http://www.gretsch.com/about-us
Gretsch (the guitars) is a Fender brand same like Guild (different to Ovation, Takamine and Gretsch drums which are KMC brands!): http://www.fender.com/brands/
But the owner of the Gretsch company is Fred W. Gretsch Enterprises, Ltd.
So Gretsch is not owned by FMIC.
GRETSCH, BIGSBY, SHO-BUD, NASHVILLE, LEEDY, and GRETSCH BROADKASTER are just some of the registered trademarks of Fred W. Gretsch Enterprises, Ltd.
Ralf

Reaction score
Since Fender owns the deArmond name they need to send an original Dynasonic to the Korean builders. Esp. if the Guild copies are so close to the originals. I would think it's only a short time before the Guilds get the Dynasonics in some of their guitars. How cool would that be.
Thanks John

Last edited: