Picked up a Newark St. Starfire IV and I'm loving it!

Tweedledee

Reaction score
I've been interested in the Newark Street Starfires since they were announced. I've owned a 70s Bluesbird and Starfire IV but have always wanted to own a 60s Starfire. The ones I have played with the mini humbuckers sounded fantastic, even better to my ears than the later ones with the HB-1s, which are probably my favorite standard size humbuckers. So when I saw that they were making a reproduction of a 60s Starfire IV with those minis I was immediately intrigued. And when a used one popped up on eBay last week, I couldn't resist.

I've been playing it for a couple of days now and I have to say I'm really impressed. The build quality is incredible. It's easily the best MIK guitar I've ever owned or played, and it's on par with any standard production USA guitar I've owned. Perfect fretwork, flawless finish, and the kicker is that the repro 60s mini humbuckers sound remarkably like the originals to my ears. Very dynamic and articulate. I suppose "airy" is a good way to describe the tone. I'm a sucker for low wind 'buckers.

I can't really find anything negative to say other than I don't love the amber switch tip. :) Well, and I always have a love/hate relationship with floating bridges. I'll probably put some double-sided tape on the bottom to keep it in place the next time I change strings.

To be honest, I like this guitar better than the '76 Starfire IV I used to own. That one was a bit of a boat anchor and even though it sounded fantastic I found it a little uncomfortable to play. That's why I eventually let it go. But this Newark St Starfire is just right. It "fits" me much better.