Starfire project

fretwear

Reaction score
Howdy All,
I got a bit of a project going here. I found a '68 Starfire II that needs help....I'm trying to bring the electronics back from a 70's mod, arff!
At some point the Bisonics were replaced with Guild humbuckers, a route was added between the pups for a jazz pup, stereo jacks (2nd jack added), transformer removed (gone), suck switch wired to go from (1) output to stereo, master volume pot changed to a stacked pot??

Good news, after I got this bass the seller contacted me saying he found the original Bisonics and risers in a shoe box! They both needed help so Curtis Novak has then in for the needed restoration.
I think I have everything but the correct 1968 master volume pot, a wiring diagram, and transformer. Any ideas on where to source these parts and info?
Was thinking of doing a 1967 or pre suck switch rewire? In that case all I'd really need is the correct master vol pot and a wiring diagram.
The body has been roached so not sure it matters that it stays true to 1968 specs? I will patch in the Mahogany and blend the finish but it will always be repaired.
It does play great and came with the OHSC.
Thanks for any help!

P.S. this is the same bass I was thinking about getting back in late November 2013. It was my first post or so, we hashed over the +/- of buying this. Well, I didn't listen and yup....I finally tore into it, and I'm in deep.....!

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratudolenses! I think most people would skip the suck switch. Frono in 3...2...1...

fretwear

Reaction score
Hi John, Yea he decided to sell to me only with a promise that I return it back to it's original state. So I'm going fill all the added routes and holes.....good news he came up with most of the original electronics, tuners, etc...
Did you find your "dream" P bass, how goes the search?

johnbiscuti

Reaction score
That's great Leo!

My "dream" P-Bass turned out to be a nightmare. I ended up instead with an early MIJ '62 Reissue Precision in Olympic White, which I like very much, and an amazing Guild D-55 acoustic guitar. :)

fretwear

Reaction score
Cool, early MIJ's are killer, good choice. So you know, I had given up on the SF II project bass, couldn't get 'em to respond to my emails, then some weeks later he contacted me....I really didn't think it was going to happen.
Now I just need parts and time....:)

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
What shape are the humbuckers in? If decent, maybe offer them to this guy>

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?180669-New-member-new-73-JS-II-husk

also have to say, you are extremely lucky the original bisonics and risers were found and forwarded to you (and for free?) after the fact. A very cool seller if that is the case or even any version of that story...just that part alone makes the bass cooler and of course adds value. Great call having Curtis refurbish them, you have definitely got at least that much going for you. Good luck with the rest of the project! Enjoy the bass.