Pickups in Newwark St Starfire III

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Page 1 of this thread has both mine and Zelko's specs. Mine is slightly hotter than his.

Synchro

Reaction score
Thanks, Default, I had forgotten all about that. So, it seems, the pickups from the originals were wound about evenly. I need to measure the static resistance of the coils in the T-400.

Zelja

Reaction score
Page 1 of this thread has both mine and Zelko's specs. Mine is slightly hotter than his.
Steve, the specs I had on the 2nd page were actually from my Franz equipped guitars.

My '66 Starfire V mini-hums measure 7.20k each (in the guitar, so actual would be a few per cent higher). As per my post on page 8, I reckon ideally the pickup winds should be slightly different for best balance between neck & bridge.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So, it seems, the pickups from the originals were wound about evenly.
On my 1967 Starfire IV the neck p/up has 6.55kohms and the bridge has 6.79kohms. With a second ohmmeter I measured about 1 year ago 6.7 neck and 6.95 bridge. Anyway, bridge always a bit hoter (as it should be). Both done with digital meters, not sure why after 12 month the values are less. Measured on the pickups alone in both cases, not connected to the harness.
Ralf

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Steve, the specs I had on the 2nd page were actually from my Franz equipped guitars.

My '66 Starfire V mini-hums measure 7.20k each (in the guitar, so actual would be a few per cent higher). As per my post on page 8, I reckon ideally the pickup winds should be slightly different for best balance between neck & bridge.
Page 8? That's what I get for not having a metric browser!
Also for not reading!

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
A slightly hotter bridge pickup makes things a little easier to adjust, but with both pickups wound the same, there's usually plenty of height adjustment available to make the volumes match. That's a little harder with top mounted non-adjustable pickups like P90's and DeArmonds, but no problem with ring-mounted humbuckers.

Reaction score
Guild Total
Had no idea about this issue. I tried the NS SFIII and SFIV this spring at a local shop and they sounded great (played mostly clean). Actually went there for the SFIV and preferred the sound and looks of the SFIII (that I'm still gassing for, btw).

Any idea when Cordoba will make these available again?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Any idea when Cordoba will make these available again?
Olá at LTG! Actually the Newark St. line (as well as the GAD line) of instruments were never out of production during the transfer, so they should be available as normal. It's just that the ownership changed from FMIC to CMG, so maybe in future they will be available from different dealers/shops, but I don't think there was any change in the factory for the Guild Newark St. and GAD line. What is changing is the factory location of the US made Guilds from New Hartford/CT to Oxnard/CA. But that has nothing to do with the Newark St. line.
Ralf

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Update. The minibuckers are unobtanium from the shop I ordered them from. I did buy a rewound bridge minibucker (thanks Chris!) rewound to 7.4k but I don't know when I can get to dropping it in the SFIV. I need to find a cover for it. Sounds like a job for Hans!

TVeye

Reaction score
I was told, the other day, that parts will not be available until Oxnard is operational.