NBD - my first Guild bass!

Muovinen

Reaction score
Got a real nice and big package from France the other day and pulled out this gorgeous B302! It came with a heavy vintage smell so I threw the OHSC out the door. The bass itself has some odour too but not that badly. It's in great condition but needs a set of fresh strings. Any suggestions for rock in drop-D tuning?

Big thanks to brother jmix for translating and enabling - my french sucks! ;D

20140214_114623.jpg

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice. No string suggestions for you, but always pleased to see LTG folks helping each other out.

jmix

Reaction score
I was very happy to help you and I'm glad that you enjoy the bass... except its odour of course, but I'm sure that it will disappear after some time. ;-)

hagmeat

Reaction score
Good stuff Muovinen. For down tuning I would use some heavy gauge strings and maybe get a proper setup.
My B301 came with a bad fitting case and it took me a while to find one that fit well. I got an epiphone embassy
case that fits great.
Cheers

Muovinen

Reaction score
Allright, time for some setup. I cleaned the frets and fingerboard with Gorgomyte (great stuff!), wiped the whole thing clean and tightened the tuning heads which were hanging loose from the headstock. I also did some adjustments to the truss rod and the bridge but I'm still getting some fret buzz above the 12th fret particularly on the fat E-string. It would be fine if I only played soft fingerpicking but I also like to dig into the strings with a good pick.

I'm a little confused with the bridge settings - what does that little wheel below the bridge do exactly? :)

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm a little confused with the bridge settings - what does that little wheel below the bridge do exactly? :)
The bridge is supported by at three points. The two large adjusters on either side at the ends and the "starwheel" at the front. The starwheel also allows you to level or tilt the bridge if necessary.

Muovinen

Reaction score
I've tweaked and tweaked but I can't completely get rid of the buzzing. I guess I have to take it to a proper tech because I'm not that good in this type of stuff.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've tweaked and tweaked but I can't completely get rid of the buzzing. I guess I have to take it to a proper tech because I'm not that good in this type of stuff.

I found an awful lot of noise turned out to be my left hand technique and not the way the instrument was adjusted :)