Muting strings between bridge and bigsby

prairietelecaster

Reaction score
I've noticed an occasional sympathetic subtle ring of strings between the bridge and the bigsby on my new SF. I can imagine muting this occasionally. If anyone here is doing this what are you using? I might try weaving a felt or placing a foam piece under the strings. Actually it is not a problem, I'm just seeking solutions.

griehund

Reaction score
I've noticed an occasional sympathetic subtle ring of strings between the bridge and the bigsby on my new SF. I can imagine muting this occasionally. If anyone here is doing this what are you using? I might try weaving a felt or placing a foam piece under the strings. Actually it is not a problem, I'm just seeking solutions.

How about a narrow strip of velcro top and bottom?

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
I've used a piece of craft foam and threaded it through the strings and also tried tennis racquet vibration dampeners. The tennis item didn't work as well, just because it didn't fit as well. Here's a picture of my Gretsch Power Tenny with the foam:

(Sorry for the Gretsch photo on the Guild site! I also did this on my X160.)

I've also always thought it would be cool in a high-roller sort of way to do this with a $20 dollar bill or similar, but it might sound like a kazoo!

griehund

Reaction score
I've used a piece of craft foam and threaded it through the strings and also tried tennis racquet vibration dampeners. The tennis item didn't work as well, just because it didn't fit as well. Here's a picture of my Gretsch Power Tenny with the foam:

(Sorry for the Gretsch photo on the Guild site! I also did this on my X160.)

I've also always thought it would be cool in a high-roller sort of way to do this with a $20 dollar bill or similar, but it might sound like a kazoo!

How do you like those TV Jones filtertrons as opposed to the originals?

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
This guitar comes from the factory with TV Jones PowerTrons (model 6116 PTV). They sound real good - this is a great "rock" guitar. TV Jones Filtertrons have a lot of clarity, and these Power Trons have clarity and grunt. There are spots on the fretboard where holding chords gives way to nice controllable feedback. I think it really is a great guitar (I should play it more often)!

Chris Cheney of The Living End used one of these Power Tenny guitars before his signature model was developed and you can hear his tone in the guitar. Unfortunately not in my hands, though.

griehund

Reaction score
This guitar comes from the factory with TV Jones PowerTrons (model 6116 PTV). They sound real good - this is a great "rock" guitar. TV Jones Filtertrons have a lot of clarity, and these Power Trons have clarity and grunt. There are spots on the fretboard where holding chords gives way to nice controllable feedback. I think it really is a great guitar (I should play it more often)!

Chris Cheney of The Living End used one of these Power Tenny guitars before his signature model was developed and you can hear his tone in the guitar. Unfortunately not in my hands, though.

My 6129 came with Gretsch Filtertrons and I've often thought about switching over to TV Jones but never pulled the trigger. Have to give it some more thought.

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
I changed out the Gretsch "Hi-Sensitive" Filtertrons for TV Jones Classics in my 2003 White Falcon. That change, along with a brass TruArc bridge in place of the stock Space Control bridge really brought the guitar to life. I have an '03 Silver Jet that I similarly upgraded and I find the TV's to have more clarity and twang.

griehund

Reaction score
I changed out the Gretsch "Hi-Sensitive" Filtertrons for TV Jones Classics in my 2003 White Falcon. That change, along with a brass TruArc bridge in place of the stock Space Control bridge really brought the guitar to life. I have an '03 Silver Jet that I similarly upgraded and I find the TV's to have more clarity and twang.

Think I'll put that on my to do list. I've looking to replace the Space Control bridge with a Graph Tech.