Guild X-160 (Rockabilly) - opinions?

Despot

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've a line on a fiesta red X-160 as part of a trade in deal (the other side of the deal involves a LPB '65 Jaguar, but let's not go there on this forum ... I'll take that to OSG!).

I'm pretty much in love with the X-160, which is really driving me towards the trade deal. To my ear it seems to out-Gretsch most dyna sonic Gretschs I've tried and the price on this one is actually pretty cheap (about half of what I'd pay for a 50s spec White Falcon for example).

So I guess I'm wondering what the catch is ... it plays and sounds pretty damn good, and that's about it!

Anyone on here have one or have any alternative view on these models. I can't really find fault with this one, apart from replaced tuners (someone put horrible locking tuners on it).

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
X160s are great guitars - better suited to Rockabilly than the X170T is IMO, which is where the bulk of my experience lies. The main weakness of the X170 was the pickups, which is solved with the X160. Since I can't help but type, allow me to relate my experiences with Gretsch vs. Guild.

Having played both Guilds and Gretsches, I'd say that the Guilds just seem to be heavier overall. They're more robust feeling guitars, which may or may not be a good thing. My Gretsch feels more lively and has a tighter, sharper sound, even unplugged. My SFIII had that lighter, springier feel to it, but it was still a rock machine - not a rockabilly guitar.

I owned an X170t and a Gretsch SSLVO at the same time. The Guild was darker sounding, which I was convinced was mostly the pickup's fault, though the Gretsch is lighter, has an ebony fretboard, and generally felt more lively than the Guild. Like I said, the Gretsch was the winner because it was twangier. My experience with the X170T echoes every experience I've had with a Guild from electrics to acoustics to semi-hollows to hollow-bodies. Even my SFIII was darker, smokier, and more midranged-based, just like the X170T, and just like my SF4. But let's be honest, I'm splitting hairs, and a lot of tone can be dialed in with a good amp.

As for locking tuners, they're awesome. I my Gretsch SSLVO has them and I love 'em - especially on a bigsby-equipped guitar.

Now that may seem like I'm choosing against the Guild - not at all. I've played rockabilly gigs with my X170T, and the audience couldn't have cared less about the nuances of tone. They liked the orange guitar, and I had a few people comment on my "Gretsch" after the show. As a matter of fact, no one has ever commented on my Gretsch, but I got many comments on my Guild. Go figure. :) As you're no doubt aware, I love Guilds, and if I ended up with any Guild as my only guitar, I would be a happy boy.

None of what I typed really matters, though, when you've written this: "it plays and sounds pretty damn good". My advice is always what was given to me years ago: "Buy the one that sings to you".

Since I love pics, here's a pic of my X170T next to my Gretsch SSLVO. It doesn't help you at all, but I like the pic. :)

_B0Z1731_800.jpg

Despot

Reaction score
Thanks GAD!

I'm pretty familiar with Gretsch models - I've had a few over the years and I've always rated them, and I get what you mean by a slightly brighter sound. My old Starfire IV sounded smokier than any other hollow or semi-hollow I've had. I haven't had the chance to play too many Westerley Guilds, just the Starfire (and a modern pre-Fender Starfire). But the 160 seems lively, twangy and ... well ... Gretsch-like!

I was curious about any potential issues there might be with this model type, similar to the occasional minor issues you find with the late pre-Fender Gretsch models. But glad to heat that these have a good rep!

The locking tuners fitted are black gloss tuners! They don't look terrible (they sort of work in the context of the black pick guard and the sort of pinky-red of the Fiesta Red finish), but ... they may have to go if I'm lucky enough to snag this.

Thanks again GAD. I guess I'd already made up my mind on this guitar and just wanted to sense check my gut feel.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice guitars, and those pickups sound great, but they're a little underpowered in a band setting IMO. They sound like the old DeArmonds Gretsch and Guild used to use, but don't have quite the punch of the old ones - or of fancier new ones. (TV Jones/Seymour Duncan)

And if you like twangy rockabilly guitars - do take a look at the Korean Newark Street series Guilds, the X175B in particular. I own the real thing these were based on, two of them, and I still can't get over how nice the new Korean Guilds are. Really.