A-150 or X-175? Need advice please!

Reaction score
Could someone with experience of both the above please comment on the acoustic qualities of each? Here's the thing; I'm leaning more toward jazz in my playing and would like a dedicated instrument. I'm aware that the Savoy is essentially a true, solid-top acoustic with an added pickup, which attracts me as I enjoy playing purely acoustic as well as amplified. However the versatility of an extra pickup on the Manhattan is also attractive. So, how much is the acoustic tone of the X-175 compromised in comparison to the A-150, or would it be acceptable for quiet, unamplified practise?
I'm unable to try either guitar as neither are available locally.
This will be my only guitar as I need to liquidate my existing guitars (M-120 and F-130) in order to finance it.
Thanks for your help and advice.

Andrew

blue335

Reaction score
I have the new A-150 and a Corona X-150B. The A-150 has a much richer fuller sound, the base is so strong I have to roll off the base on my Fender Princeton amp where with the X-150 I can never get is strong enough. The highs on the A-150 really have a gorgeous singing to them that makes me want to play it, the X-150 has a more rockabilly tone, brighter but not full. I'll probably sell the X-150.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have the X-170 Mini Manhatten, and it's definitely an electric jazz box. With its ebony bridge, it's definitely a warm jazz sound rather than the rockabilly sound that one of the metal bridge/bigsby equipped ones can give. But you wouldn't want to perform with it acoustically.

guildman63

Reaction score
Should I assume that you are referring to Newark Street models for both, and not vintage? The A-150 will be slightly more acoustic unplugged than the X-175, but probably not by a huge amount. The NS X-175 will be much more versatile. On the other hand, a Westerly X-175 would be an excellent choice, and could be had in excellent condition for less than 2K. A Hoboken model may be a little more expensive, but is also a fantastic guitar. If you don't expect to ever use it for anything other than jazz the A-150 would work very well, otherwise, I would go with a Westerly or NS X-175. Plenty of youtube clips can be found on all three models. Best of luck!

MichelP

Reaction score
This week I tried an X-175B, and X-175 and an A-150 (all Newark Street models), for the same kind of reason as yours, for jazz purposes. First of all, I found that the X175B sounded better than the X175, so that was down to the individual guitars, never mind that I don't need a Bigsby. The A150 sounded about as good, perhaps slightly better, but I bought the X-175B for its greater flexibility, not just the extra pick up, but also the tone controls. I think you'd get enough good acoustic tone from the unamplified X-175B to practice at home. But really, if you can, find somewhere not too far from Exeter where you can compare the two together. As my experience of the X-175s show, individual guitars will differ. I live in London and went out to Stevenage to do my testing and buying.

By the way, I have an M120e which I will never part with. It's great for acoustic jazz as for everything else.

Good luck!

MichelP

Reaction score
Could someone with experience of both the above please comment on the acoustic qualities of each? Here's the thing; I'm leaning more toward jazz in my playing and would like a dedicated instrument. I'm aware that the Savoy is essentially a true, solid-top acoustic with an added pickup, which attracts me as I enjoy playing purely acoustic as well as amplified. However the versatility of an extra pickup on the Manhattan is also attractive. So, how much is the acoustic tone of the X-175 compromised in comparison to the A-150, or would it be acceptable for quiet, unamplified practise?
I'm unable to try either guitar as neither are available locally.
This will be my only guitar as I need to liquidate my existing guitars (M-120 and F-130) in order to finance it.
Thanks for your help and advice.

Andrew

Correction to my previous post. It is my F20e that I shall not be parted from.