Hi! New here - looking for info on the JF30-12

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
KOMA... about the x-ray photo... I don't understand what I'm seeing. Are the back and the top different widths, or is this some sort of "optical" illusion? On my JF-30-12, the width of the soundboard is pretty much the same as the back.
Hey Chazmo, I think the reason it looks that way is because the back is closer to the detectors(yes, it was taken with a CT scanner) than the front. This is basically just like an x-ray though. I didn't do a helical scan like I would if I was scanning a patient. Since the front of the guitar is 5-6 inches further away from the table it is magnified on the image so the front and back are different sizes. I also did this with my JF-30 and my strat. I'm planning on bringing my Bluesbird P90 in this week. When I do I'll start another thread. I know it's silly but I think the images are pretty cool.

Zelja

Reaction score
Only ever played one JF, frankly not sure which model, but the neck did not strike me as real big...
I haven't got a huge sample size of Guild 12s I've played or even other acoustic 12s to compare it with but my JF30-12 was definitely bigger than a 70s F-212 & a newer NH F412. Mind you we have come to expect some variance in the guitars coming out of the factory...

Creatch

Reaction score
I tried every make and model of 12 I could find as I knew I needed one. It wasn't until I played my JF4 12 NT that I found exactly what I was looking for. I played 3 or 4 chords and didn't care what it cost. Bought it on the spot. Best acoustic purchase I have ever made. And would not hesitate getting another.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I used to have a Guild JF65-12, which is the upscale cousin to the JF30-12.

The tone from a vintage Guild 12 is like a chorus of Angels singing background while you play a vintage Guild 6-string.

Not only that, but a vintage Guild of any type is likely to be a canon, and and will be built so solidly that you could use it as a weapon to bash an onslaught of zombies in their squishy heads after which you could sit down and play with the guitar still in tune.

My main acoustic is a Taylor (shhh - don't tell my Guild buddies), and I absolutely love it, but I like it because of its modern bright timbre. I also baby it because it feels like it's made of balsa wood. A vintage Guild - especially a big 'ol 12-er - will likely weigh substantially more than your Taylor, and will have a much deeper voice. The kicker about vintage Guilds is that they have a deeper voice but still ring out with articulate clarity that makes grown men cry.

These JF guitars are BIG, so be prepared if you've never played a jumbo. Big is good, though, especially if you need to battle zombies with your guitar.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Slight veer:
I might be out of the loop on this one but what's with the near-fixation a lot of folks have with zombies? Clue me in, would you, please?

Joe

Zombies, historically, have been popular in film when there is a widespread fear in the collective. http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1112791793/zombie-craze-society-analysis-022613/

I've always used the term "zombies" to refer to "unknown dangers", and I think that society-wide, many people have an uneasy feeling about the future, be it from a financial, political, or environmental viewpoints.

When we fear something that we can't control that has the power to ruin our comfortable lives, we seem to swarm to zombie films for entertainment. Think about it - the archetypal zombie hoard is coming to kill us all, and it can't be stopped. There are too many of them, they're everywhere, and if you kill one, others just keep coming. It is the fear of the unstoppable destruction that is beyond our control.

Better stock up on vintage Guilds.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Slight veer:
I might be out of the loop on this one but what's with the near-fixation a lot of folks have with zombies? Clue me in, would you, please?
Aside from the fact that AMC's series "the Walking Dead" is one of he most popular TV shows on the air right now, there's also the vintage lineup featuring Rod Argent:

I'll take vintage any day.