Goodnight Pete Seeger.

ScottyGuildPlayer

Reaction score
Folk music will be the poorer for his passing,Pete Seeger will go down in the Annals,as one of the giants of early American protest/folk music,without him,there would be no Bob Dylan,or any of his contemporaries.

spiderman

Reaction score
In the '50s when I was a camper and later on the staff of a summer camp, Pete would pay an annual visit, putting on a concert and workshops for the staff. Between that and Weavers concerts I saw a fair amount of him back then. He certainly was a major influence in my burgeoning interest in folk. There was no one quite like him in his unswerving promotion of folk music and of young singers. He will be missed.

Harmony H-173 bought in 1960 (retired), Alvarez AC60S 2008, Eastman AC320ce 2009 "Hybrid", Guild D25M 1974 (all mahogany, archback), Martin Grand J35E 2009, Martin D12-20 1970, Martin OM-21 2009, Martin 00-15M Custom (full body gloss, wide neck) 2011, Martin 00-15M Custom (12 fret, wide neck, solid peghead) 2012, Voyage-air VAOM-06 2010
"One chord is plenty, two and you're pushing it, three is jazz"
Lou Reed

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
RIP, Pete! You will be sorely missed. We love you! ::crying::

Toni, thanks for posting a version with the verse Pete added, years after he first wrote the song, at the end, because he wanted to add a bit more hope.

Lucky to have met him on a number of occasions...and had the chance to hold his 12 string.

Luckier still that he was about the only performer I ever met that not only welcomed you to start up your old portable cassette tape recorder...remember those?...but invited you to place it on the stage at the foot of his microphone stand so you wouldn't miss anything.

Peace :tranquillity:

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) that there will never be another like Pete Seeger.
I don't see anyone on the scene with anything that comes close to his qualities of generosity, kindness, caring, warmth, humor, etc., etc. His was/is a unique story for the ages.

I can track his inspiration throughout my musical career. One of the first struggling tunes on my first guitar 44 years ago was Where Have All the Flowers Gone? I've probably done it a half-dozen times today....and it's still early.

His get up and go has got up and went, :tranquillity:
Joe

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Pete's music was a major influence on me and I didn't even know it.
I grew up loving Folk Music with all the acoustic instruments and wonderful harmonies.
I sang a lot of Pete's songs in my youth without knowing who penned them.

I know that Pete and Woody were major influences on John Denver, who was my biggest influence, so it all comes around and The Circle Will Be Unbroken.
God Bless, Pete.

charliea

Reaction score
I'm sitting here playing "American Favorite Ballads" and wondering why I ever left that stuff. Plunk a few tunes, sing a few simple songs, don't worry too much about how you sound, just have fun.

Last edited:

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite photos of Pete, in black and white.

99er.png

Joe

PhilD

Reaction score
Pete Seeger was some trooper. He was a people's man. God blessed him as he wandered this earth. He had a long, well deserved life. RIP Pete. Thanks for the music. Thanks for your words.

Zelja

Reaction score
Not much more I can add to the reverent words of praise and warm thoughts that have already gone his way.

He was a towering figure of influence in his musical career & a huge proponent of positive change in general. He lived a great, rich, positive, inspiring life & has left his mark on the world and on so many people that took notice of him.

RIP Pete Seeger & kudos on being a wonderful musician and human being and on a life well lived.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
In '76, at a Navy buddy's funeral/gravesite at Ft. Sam Houston, I led a small group on my guitar singing "Where Have All The Flowers Gone." That was an era gone by. Thanks, Pete, you were an American treasure.

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not much more I can add to the reverent words of praise and warm thoughts that have already gone his way.

He was a towering figure of influence in his musical career & a huge proponent of positive change in general. He lived a great, rich, positive, inspiring life & has left his mark on the world and on so many people that took notice of him.

RIP Pete Seeger & kudos on being a wonderful musician and human being and on a life well lived.

That sums it all up quite well.

MLBob

Reaction score
Here's to Pete. Like Harry Chapin once wrote: "When you look in his eyes, you know there's somebody in there."

Petesbanjo_zps78350dad.jpg

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The first song I learned to play was Where Have All the Flowers Gone, at summer camp, long time ago. Thank you, Pete Seeger. What a remarkable life.