Goodnight Pete Seeger.

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Lucky enough to have seen him a couple of times, and learned about Leadbelly and the mighty 12 string guitar through his 4 album instructional set.....you were always one of a kind and always encouraging people to sing out.

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
He was...my life's inspiration. I am devastated.

I feel like I owe him everything.

Thanks, Pete.

David

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
He inspired so many to play music and sing out. He was the guide for many of us into folk music, music in general, and the absolute champion of the power of music. He was a man I truly loved, and I have to mix a few tears in with my first cup of joe. :tranquillity:

RIP Pete,
Joe

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had the honor and privilege to meet Pete on many occasions while wandering the folk festival with my friend Jon and his mom Jean Ritchie back in the '70s. He was as kind and gentle a person as you'd ever want to meet, and genuinely practiced what he preached without getting all preachy about it. To call him a legend is almost damning him faint praise. I would put him up there in the company of Ghandi and Mother Teresa myself. :(

P-E-Zmusic

Reaction score
He will be missed. I know he still had gig booked for this summer, talked to someone who a friend of 10 days ago..

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
R.I.P., he was one of the persons why I started to play guitar...
Ralf
Me too, Ralf. Actually, the banjo was my first instrument, in the mid-1960s. My parents bought me Pete's book "How to play the 5-string banjo", and it opened a whole world for me. It contained just enough theory to interest a beginner without being pedantic, and Pete's philosophy was "Don't think of it as practice, think of it as playing." Although I gave up the banjo for the guitar soon after, the lessons from that book are still with me.

Thanks, Pete

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Me too, Ralf. Actually, the banjo was my first instrument, in the mid-1960s. My parents bought me Pete's book "How to play the 5-string banjo", and it opened a whole world for me. It contained just enough theory to interest a beginner without being pedantic, and Pete's philosophy was "Don't think of it as practice, think of it as playing." Although I gave up the banjo for the guitar soon after, the lessons from that book are still with me.
I can relate! I had that book, too, and my Gibson RB170 (or something close to that) 5 string/open back banjo, and I credit Pete with teaching me how to hammer on.
The things I learned from that book transposed well to my guitar playing at the time, too.

Ah, memories, :tranquillity:
Joe

charliea

Reaction score
I bought a banjo in '62, got Seeger's book, and played for twenty years. Put it down and left music for a long time. When I returned it was to 12-string just like you-know-who. I've literally never played a 6-string acoustic. Never even tried one, and have no desire to do so. Recently I decided I had to have a banjo again, so what did I get?
_DSC0902_zps65a3fd62.jpg

glazed67

Reaction score
Thanks for everything Pete!! You've been a true inspiration, artist, humanitarian and American (though some would wrongfully peg you to being a communist) I was also fortunate to see him a few times w/ Arlo. RIP Pete!!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Love seeing clips of that old early 60s show he had, the one in black and white, all the interesting artists he had on.