Weather in the northern climates......

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't know about the rest of you folks that live in the northern climates or anywhere else for that matter, but this crazy winter season is really getting me down. I would like to think that, people living in northern Minnesota would rank right up there with some of the hardiest people in the country and tough winters are nothing new, but this is getting ridiculous.

30 mph winds making for 40 to 50 below wind chills again today and tomorrow. Plus factor in the constant snow fall and we've had white-out driving conditions and extremely icy roads. Yesterday, I came within inches of rear ending a state trooper that had stopped on a bridge to assist 2 pickup trucks that had wiped out because the white-out conditions on the single lane bridge. Even with the lights flashing, I did not see him until I was within about 20 feet, apply the brakes on the ice and get over enough to get by and keep moving in order to avoid being rear ended myself. That was just the start of an eight hour driving round trip to visit our daughter at college for her birthday. I am still recovering (or trying to).

I know people have had to endure worse weather related things, but this has been going on for months now and holy cow, it's really starting to get old.

On a good note, I got my new Baffin Icebreaker boots rated for -97 F the other day and along with the heated grips on my atv, snow plowing on Saturday wasn't all so bad.

Sorry for the rant, but it's part of the recovery process.:grumpy:

Maybe, if I was a younger man?

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
We're getting it good here in w central Ohio as well. Highs in the single digits. -18 degrees low and winds gusting to 40 mph. Wind chills just devastating. So cold it'd burn a snowman. My motorcycle is shivering in the garage even with the wood burner going. I'm not sure when it's been this bad around here. I'm just glad the snow isn't as bad as the blizzard of 1978 when my house was covered clear up to the gable vents. I guess there's always something to be thankful for eh?

Peace

dklsplace

Reaction score
No fun here. We've had close to 2 ft of new snow in the past 3 days. Got up early today after getting the school closing call & watched the traffic/weather & decided not to spend 2+ hours on the road for what's typically a 45 minute drive. My wife made it as far as the highway before turning around & coming home. Nice having a day home, but no fun going out to shovel every couple hours trying to stay on top of things.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had a fair round on Sunday. Need to work on my short game a little. Giving away too many strokes from a hundred yards in...

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
At least we have "The Great Equalizer" (Lake Michigan) to warm the air a few degrees after it blasts through Minnesota and Wisconsin. Of course, it also results in "lake effect" snow.

macjansson

Reaction score
I can't complain only between 5 and 30 degrees all of January. A couple of years ago it was down to -20 and three feet of snow. This year it has not been more foot of snow. All guitars in their cases with humidifiers, guitars without cases are stacked in one of the bigger closets with bowls of water on the floor.

Last edited:

charliea

Reaction score
This is how it was in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Then there was a warming trend through the 80's and 90's. Now its cooling again. Same old same old. We're having a rugged winter here. A couple of nights have gotten down into the high fifties! It's 76 and sunny right now, but that may change in a few weeks. Or not.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Winter storm warning on the Gulf Coast! Guess I mouthed off once too often.

Of course you'd think we were getting ready to be invaded by the Mongol hordes...people are freaking out about now.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Huh? Got a tee-time tomorrow at noon. S'posd to hit 81, I think. (Ducking now!)

Btw, Anybody want to buy a nice condo?

Last edited:

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hang in there fellas, it's bound to break soon and we can start complaining about the heat!

juwl.jpg

Hard to see the light when the tunnel's buried! :tranquillity:

Joe

rachelsdad

Reaction score
It hasn't gone above freezing in almost two weeks here...maybe longer.

I've had more sprinkler lines break in occupied bldgs this year than I have ever seen.

Spoke w/ a friend who looks in on my place in the ADKs...32 below last week, plus bad winds...could not get to my cabin.

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
-13 this a.m. Had to rescheduled consultation for back surgery. It's just too nasty to drive the 90 miles to Columbus. Roads are a b.-.-

Peace

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
-26 on the way to work today, but most importantly and although all the schools are closed again today, the winds seem to have subsided and that is something to cheer about.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow I feel like a wimp complaining about below freezing temps when you guys are below zero!!!

Although, it hit 45 here yesterday but it's back down in the teens today.

I guess if you're following the Superbowl weather news you pretty much know what's going on here in New Jersey!