Changing strings

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Whew! Been on a roll this week. Put new strings on three out of four, then realized I didn’t have a 12-string set. Good thing - 30 strings in one week? The mind boggles!

Understand, I HATE changing strings. I don’t know why. Once I start I can really get into it – clean, oil the fretboard, polish, the whole nine yards. After the project is done it’s great to hear the guitar breathing fresh air. Then I wonder why I waited so long.

Anybody else have this hang-up?

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nope, not I. It goes with the passion.
It's sort of like washing your car....the end result makes it all worthwhile. :tranquillity:

Joe

Yeah, I agree about the end result. It’s just getting started that gives me problems.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey, Rick, I feel exactly the same way - hate the chore, love the results. It's one of those three-handed jobs. I had a beast of a time putting strings on my DeArmond Starfire Special with that roll-o-matic tremolo arm thing going on, trying to keep tension on the strings while they are curled 270 degrees around the bridge - UNTIL I read on this very forum that capos are very useful for changing strings too. So I do that on my acoustics now too; I change 3 strings at a time, set em in the bridge, pull them gently toward the nut and capo them on the 3rd fret or so. Now you can go about stringing them through the tuners, etc. and they're nicely held down.

kdavid

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
when i had a bunch of guitars (including a coule 12 strings),a couple banjos & a bass, i simply hated string-changing time.

now that ive just got old mckaila, i kind of look foreward to it. :)

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm a fan of the Taylor method as well. Quick, simple, and easy. Once I get going on cleaning, polishing, string changing.... I'm good. But I tend to procrastinate as well. It's the getting started that's trouble. But I'm like that with a lot of things. A simple project out in the garage and once I get going, it's fun and easy and I'm thinking, "Why was I avoiding this so much?" Apparently, it's my nature. Also, once I get going I tend to do them ALL AT ONCE. So they all tend to need strings at the same time and then it's an even BIGGER chore so...... I screw myself up on a regular basis. Oh well.....

macjansson

Reaction score
The Taylor method goes against most of what I've read about changing strings, now I didn't read the entire PDF so I might be wrong but I got the impression they remove all of the strings before stringing it up with new strings. Most brands recommend changing one string at the time due to the great changes in tension on the neck when all strings are removed. Seems logical to me so I change one string at the time securing the string in the string post as instructed the Guild manual, which is basically the same way I've always used on slotted head guitars :)

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It's the getting started that's trouble. But I'm like that with a lot of things. A simple project out in the garage and once I get going, it's fun and easy and I'm thinking, "Why was I avoiding this so much?" Apparently, it's my nature.
I'd have to say that I'm that way. too.
When Cindy and I do something that we haven't done in a while, we always say, "we should do this more often!" But we get back into the real world and doing other things, so we forget. And sure enough, the cycle continues....but it's all good.
:tranquillity:

Joe

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Another advantage of only having two guitars! I don't mind doing it, if only for the results I know I'll get when the new strings start singing!

walrus

kdavid

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
ive removed all the strings from the time ive learned to change them (i think i was around 10) & have never had a problem.
6, 12 or 5 string (ok, once in a while 4 string too) :)
it also gives me the opportunity to clean, polish & anything else my guitar (or whatever else) would need

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm a fan of the Taylor method as well. Quick, simple, and easy. Once I get going on cleaning, polishing, string changing.... I'm good. But I tend to procrastinate as well. It's the getting started that's trouble. But I'm like that with a lot of things. A simple project out in the garage and once I get going, it's fun and easy and I'm thinking, "Why was I avoiding this so much?" Apparently, it's my nature. Also, once I get going I tend to do them ALL AT ONCE. So they all tend to need strings at the same time and then it's an even BIGGER chore so...... I screw myself up on a regular basis. Oh well.....

You got it. Yeah, the Taylor method works well for me too.

Usually I don’t do the “all at once” thing, preferring to stagger the chore. On the plus side, this gave me a chance to compare my two Guilds back to back with the same fresh strings (JP PB lights). It was really surprising to really hear the difference (possible new thread).

Joe, I’m going to try out your favorite “Bluegrass” strings next time. I had these on hand.