Inside Llewyn Davis

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
If you go to this movie for no other reason than to listen to Oscar Isaac sing and fingerpick, you'll be happy.
It's the latest from the Coen brothers, based loosely around Dave Van Ronk and the Greenwich Village folk music scene in the early 60s. If you're a fan of their work, you'll get it. If not, you might find it a little too dark and disturbing.
A few, typically weird character roles, plot lines, and cinematography are spot on....you can really feel the winter cold. You'll even see the facsimile Clancy brothers wearing their trademark sweaters.

Coen-brothers quirky but go with an open mind and listen to this guy play and sing some really fine tunes, especially the one he sings for his Dad, who's in a nursing home and appears to be pretty stoic about life in general, until their song sinks in.

I could go on but just go see it for yourself....and listen to the music. :tranquillity:

Joe

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
This film really doesn't have the extroverted zaniness that one expects from the Coens. It plays more like a European art film; a snapshot in time, a slice of life, more about characters, mood and atmosphere, less about plot. Van Ronk's life story provided some anecdotes, and his music was featured, including an actual Van Ronk recording in the final credits, but Isaac's character really isn't Dave Van Ronk.

I enjoyed this film quite a bit. It's worth a look and a listen, especially if you were any kind of folkie back in the day.

Nice guitargazing, too.

' Strang

Last edited:

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I did a little research this morning and found out that the guitar Oscar Isaac played in the movie was a 1924 Gibson L1 (for those of you keeping score at home). And keep in mind that this isn't an actor pretending to play and sing....he really is playing and singing.

It sounds great, BTW. :tranquillity:

Joe

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I really enjoyed this movie. If it's a Coen Bros. film, you know you'll see an entertaining, crazy John Goodman character. They did a great job of capturing the look and feel of the early '60's.
Ship out in the Merchant Marine? Impossible to do today.

ladytexan

Reaction score
It's a great movie! I have many fond memories of learning to play guitar during the hootenanny/folk music era, and this movie brought back some of those fond memories. I bought the movie soundtrack CD, too.

Side note: After seeing the movie, I pulled-out a few of my old folk music books....sat and played and sang for a couple of hours. Felt good....I need to do that more often. :::softsmile:::

Thanks for the post, Joe!

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It's always interesting to me how a movie can affect our day-to-day activities.
I remember as a kid watching a cowboy movie matinee and then going home and playing cowboys and Indians until dark. Or maybe watching a war movie and taking that home to recreate the big battle scenes.
Well, after watching Llewyn Davis, I've been playing all over the house....as Cindy smiles! :applause:

Joe