Father Son Winter Campout

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
4-6" of heavy snow here today, and 35-45 mph winds. Temps in the single digits, and wind chills -25 or less. My house acts as an airfoil and the snow swoops over the roof and deposits squarely in front of my front door and garage door. In that area, the snow was about 1 1/2 ft. deep. I just cleared that with my snowblower, but there figures to be a bunch more tomorrow morning and through the weekend.

Being an adventurous sort, I'm taking my 5-year-old grandson north about 120 miles tomorrow for an overnighter at a lodge. We won't be exactly roughing it - we have heated cabins with showers and a big lodge with a fireplace. It's something our church has been doing for over 30 years, and I've been there for most of the outings. Basically you take your sons/grandson up there and follow them around for the weekend, do whatever they want to do. Festivities will include broom ice hockey, sliding at the tubing hill, snowmobile rides, community soup pot on a tripod over the warming fire at the sliding hill (everyone puts in a can of soup, plus there is usually ample cubed venison tossed in to give it texture,) shooting range with 8 stations in a big sand hill, marksmanship contest with prizes for the boys, over the swamp they'll be shooting clay pigeons. Lotta lead flies up there on a weekend, with the utmost of concern for teaching safety and responsibility.

Inside there are board games, air hockey, Ping-Pong, and rocket building (every kid gets to build an Estes rocket, then we launch them in a big open field.)

3 hot squares at the chow hall daily plus it is open 24/7 with hot coffee and cocoa, a lot of hanging out goes on in there as well.

I'll be leading a few songs on my old D-25 for the after-bacon blessings on Sunday morning, then back to the activities.

I'll load the grandson in the car on Sunday afternoon and he'll sleep all the way home.

Here's a shot of my front porch this morning.

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Reminds me of when my boys were in Boy Scouts! Sounds great!

walrus

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
When I was in Boy Scouts we had no such luxuries! :tranquillity:

I've been taking my oldest grandson on camping trips the past few years and it's always a good time. We try to make it at least a two-nighter so it's not just a drive-up and drive-back trip.
:applause:

Have fun,
Joe

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This is awesome. That kid will remember this forever. Where do you live that there is so much snow?

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wish I had a dad like you. Mine wasn't like that. My grandpa was great. He was no nonsense. But sweet and fair. I miss him more than anything. Good job, dreadnut.... these memories are more important that you will ever know......

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
The snow was deep up there. A good time was had by all. Wish I'd had my dog last night though, it was at least a one-dog night on the bottom bunk in our cabin! I think it got down to about -10 F last night!