NAMM 2014: New Arcos Series AB-52E Electro-Acoustic Bass

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
New in the Guild Arcos Series (MIM) is the "AB-52E Electro-Acoustic Bass".

Features:
- Solid Sitka Spruce Top and Arched Laminated Maple Back and Sides.
- Gloss Top with Hand-Rubbed Satin Urethane Back and Sides.
- Scale Length: 32" (813 mm)
- Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood, 12" Radius (305 mm)
- String Nut: Bone
- Nut Width: 1.650" (42 mm)
- Compensated Bone Saddle
- Fishman Presys Plus, Side-Mounted Preamp with Built-In Electronic Tuner
- Tuning Machines: Die-Cast Sealed
- Strings: D'Addario EXP PBB170 Phosphor Bronze (.045-.100 Gauges)
- Case/Gig Bag: Deluxe Polyfoam

1632756369234.png1632756461125.png

1632756393991.png

Ralf

Last edited:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looks kinda cool, but I'm not a big fan of "barn door" electronics.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The new Arcos AB-52E bass is not yet on the Guild webpage, actually the Acoustic Bass Series is completely empty currently. I assume they still work on it.
Means also the 2012 introduced B-54CE Standard is missing or even discontinued. I looked under the previous partnumber of the B-54CE and get no result anymore.
Ralf

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I wonder if the sales volume of the B54 was low compared to other things they could make in New Hartford? This would give them a bass for the product line but at a different price point.

I may be a snob because I have a B50 but I am trying to figure out where an AE bass really belongs "in the stable". In my case, if I can have an amp, then none of the AEs are my first choice in terms of sound or ergonomics. If I can't have an amp, then I don't care what electronics are in the AE because I don't expect to use them. So I'd rather have something more subtle than a barn door setup. Just looking at the new bass, if doesn't look like it would have the dimensions to project as a pure acoustic so I wonder whether the arched back really helps (for a bass) or whether this is really an electric bass, for all practical purposes?

Pine Apple Slim

Reaction score
I had a B50 for a while in the early 90s. Great sound but I found it just too bulky and uncomfortable to play. I could have lived with it if it would have hung unplugged in my bluegrass group but despite its size it still needed to be plugged in. I traded it for a little B4EC short scale which was a great little bass, I still miss that one.

I wonder what the body size and scale lenght is on this new one? I like blondes.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had a B50 for a while in the early 90s. Great sound but I found it just too bulky and uncomfortable to play. I could have lived with it if it would have hung unplugged in my bluegrass group but despite its size it still needed to be plugged in. I traded it for a little B4EC short scale which was a great little bass, I still miss that one.

Well my B4CE needs a neck reset but it is leaving after that, probably gifted to a family member since I will never get out of it close to what I put in. Uncomfortable and awkward are the first words that come to mind describing playing the B50 but there have been several cases where I was asked to use it un-amplified and listeners were happy with the balance. Now that could have been a judgement on my playing or it could have been the absence of a banjo or drums.

I find it interesting that the Arcos offering has a 32" scale. I wonder which strings will actually fit. And I am hoping someone will report on its performance as a pure acoustic. My local dealer does carry Arcos so I need to go see him once the excitement from NAMM damps down.