$6500.00 1978 D55 in Ebay with no actual Photos! Really?

tjmangum

Reaction score
In our auction business, people will sometimes call or come in saying they would like to sell something (furniture, jewelry, vehicle, etc.) for X amount of dollars. When I tell them their precious item is not worth X, but is worth Y (far less) they get mad and say, "I gotta have X amount to ....(pick one) pay the rent, get my boyfriend out of jail, prevent going to jail, move out of town, go to the doctor, etc.
Some people see selling an item as their winning lottery ticket and figure what they have must match the monetary problem they have at the time.
Rarely does the item match their need.

T

jazzmang

Reaction score
I feel like he should probably buy a camera to attempt and sell this D-55 for this much money...

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Funny. I got another eBay message from the seller today. I had mistakenly written to him that he could at least put a Westerly Guild photo and not a Tacoma (photo is actually a Hartford I think now). Anyway he wrote:

" it's a Guild, not a Tacoma! Enlarge the photo....

- bill03090_1"

fretless

Reaction score
Yeah. He referenced the guy that called it a Tacoma in an email to me. I had asked him about the serial number and it's from '78.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
He is unflappable. His latest reply:

"I don't know why you want to smear my ad, but I HAVE A BEAUTFUL, 1978 GUILD DREADNOUGHT & CASE FOR SALE!!! I do not know what you are talking about! Stop being an IDIOT, and look up the serial number: 189980. There was a 1978 Guild going for $100,,000 at a New York auction some time ago..... Therefore, I consider mine a very reasonable price! If you do not want it, move on and stop trying to interfere with my sale.....

- bill03090_1"

It is times like these that I learn to be careful with humans....for we are not all created mentally equal :)
Now...I really like my excellent and quite nearly mint 1978 Guild D50....BUT....if ANY of you wish to offer me 1/2 of this gent's asking price.....I will FEDEX overnight the guitar to you and never give it a second thought.

My offer stands....please let me know if you'd like my Paypal information. And PLEASE.....don't fight over this offer...first come first serve. One similar to mine surely must've sold in Poughkeepsie a time ago for $50K.

guildman63

Reaction score
In the interest of having fun I sent the seller the following email:

"I got a good laugh out of your ad. My guess is that you are looking to tell your wife or girlfriend "hey, I tried to sell it, but nobody wanted it." Genius!

On the other hand, if I am wrong in my assumption starting it at $1500 will likely get you a sale at a reasonable price. Good luck, whatever your motives."

his is reply was this:

"not married, no girlfriend, and I make my OWN decisions..... good one! You're wrong, not all guitars are the same......"

I wish him luck in increasing the value of my collection of Guilds.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
He was nicer to you. He just messaged me again. I am now 'an idiot' three times over. This guy is simply nutz.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
he's trying to pay off his Graduate Student Loan apparently

If so...please give me the University name so that I may attempt to steer my daughter clear of that option. It does not appear that the seller is working with a full deck.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Oh boy...price has dropped all the way to $4500. Better jump!