If you could have one back....

6L6

Reaction score
It would certainly be my 1956 Guild Bluesbird.

When I bought it around 1985 or so, it had been pro painted in a beautiful deep blue (appropriate for a "Bluesbird"). The tone of this guitar, it's super light weight, and fantastic action made it a worldbeater.

The only reason I sold it was feedback issues at high volume with my band.

I don't play at those sonic levels anymore and I'd love to have that one back the most.

IMG_2631_zps9bb5af70.jpg

Bill

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
The two I passed along and should not have:

- '75 Starfire VI. Was using the wrong amp, or at least an amp which needed to be rewired and I didn't know it yet. Did not warm up to the sound, assumed it was the guitar. I'm still kicking my butt on that one.
- 75 S-90. Here the regret is milder. It was not the most comfortable guitar for me somehow. Couldn't get it set up to my liking, so tended not to play it. The regret comes with the sound. That's the only guitar I've ever played that could nail the whistling middle position overdrive scream that Albert King got from his Flying V. Strange but true. A prodigious tone from such a simple guitar. So now I miss it.
MD

Pine Apple Slim

Reaction score
As Guilds go, I wish I had the B4 acoustic bass back.

Of other guitars long gone, that 61 SG/LP has always haunted me the most.

mr.d.bluster

Reaction score
Around 1972, I had a mid-sixties F-20 that I liked a lot, but I already had a '64 Martin D-28, and I figured I didn't need two guitars (!), so I only kept it for a year or so. The last couple of years, I'd been thinking about that F-20, and really missed it. So I found a nice looking '66 F-20 on ebay, and after a neck reset and some other TLC from Kim Keller and his crew, it's as though I have the exact same guitar, in just about the same condition, as the one I sold 40 years ago. I love this guitar!

SAM_0994_zpsc7552cf4-crop_zps1d32f855.jpg

Over the years, there have been several guitars that I've regretted selling, but this was the only one that I really wanted back.

62Slimjim

Reaction score
That would have to be my Starfire XII ... Fortunately I have some recordings of it. Curiously, it had a six-string tailpiece, which led to some strange sounds on occasion! Don't know why I never took it to a machine shop to have extra slots cut! Oh, that's right, it was the early '70's!!
The other one was a really beat up '51 Tele that I bought at a hock shop in Seattle in around 1974—it came with a little Fender amp, and I got the pair for $100! The Tele was missing the pickups, the frets were shot and it had about eleven coats of paint, the last of which was bright orange Lucite. A friend who was in the army in Monterrey found two neck pickups which we put in, and I had a fret job done by a guy I knew who had been Carlos Montoya's road tech ...
As you can imagine, with the pups and really high frets it sounded unique!
I kept the amp, which died about two years later, but I couldn't bear to part with it. Last year (yet another) friend fixed it for me and we got the (original) speaker reconed. I'm now using it most of the time, my 1962 T100D sounds great through it, as does my '76 Ibanez Custom Agent, which is the guitar I bought with the proceeds of selling the SF XII!
Oh, did I mention, the amp is a '51 Fender 5A3 Deluxe?

Reaction score
First post here, and I think the right place to start.

My first guitar; a Guild D-35 which I bought new around 1975. Sadly, I don't have any pictures or the serial number. I am playing my brother's later issue D-35, but it is not close to the one I sold. Boy have I missed that guitar a lot recently. :sad:

Jahn

Reaction score
Thinking back on all the Guilds that went before, I definitely had regret for most until I landed the current Guild equivalent that is here now.

Example- my first Guild electric, a black '67 SFV. I searched high and low for one again and went through a passel of electric Guilds, but the buck stopped at a Starfire VI and man am I glad it's here!

Acoustics too- first Guild ever was an F30, and I went through a slew until I found one that trumped even the fond memory of the old one- my current is a birthyear F30R.

So yes, my currents are better but the selections are seasoned in similarity to the guitars I most regretted letting go. Rosebud could never be replaced by Weedblatt, but it could be trumped by Super Rosebud.

Last edited:

Jahn

Reaction score
At your local friendly neighborhood "it's all in my head"-shop!

guildman63

Reaction score
The Ebay auctions for my '93 X-500 and GSR Starfire VI end tonight, and with all of the Guilds I have bought and sold over the years they will be my biggest regrets should they sell. I have another taking their place, but no matter how good this other guitar is I will miss the two currently being auctioned very much.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
First post here, and I think the right place to start.

My first guitar; a Guild D-35 which I bought new around 1975. Sadly, I don't have any pictures or the serial number. I am playing my brother's later issue D-35, but it is not close to the one I sold. Boy have I missed that guitar a lot recently. :sad:
Great first post, CR, and welcome aboard! Gee, a D-35 as a first guitar is a helluva nice way to go.

I had two very cool F-50Rs that I had some initial seller's remorse about. The 1967 arch-back that I bought from capquest was sold to a player in the Netherlands who could really appreciate the guitar. And, the 1971 that I bought from frosty I sold back to him. Both were really special guitars, but those sales helped justify the acquisition of equally special 12-strings, and in truth I have not missed the F-50Rs much. The '67 was really fascinating from an historical perspective. One of very few arch-back rosewoods from that era, plus capquest was the original owner who told me the guitar's stories that I really enjoyed! I guess if I could have one back, that'd be it because it was such a unique piece of history. But, I wouldn't trade it for my Orpheum 12... oh no.

Daveyo

Reaction score
My black d25 that I had for several yrs, I sold it when I took a fall off a table while playing it and making a big
slash on the top.I should have kept it ,even as it was , it sounded wonderful.
I now have a nice d4 gloss that is execptional. I will keep that for a while.
dave

Daveyo

Reaction score
Of all the Guilds I've owned, the one that I would like to have in my hands again is this one.

a71d.jpg

1987 D25

It was, quite simply, the best sounding guitar I've owned, including a D50, and a M***** D18 and D28. It was very light and easy to fondle. The arched back projected like no other. After I got it, I had the bridge reset and added a new saddle and nut. Everyone who heard/saw it loved it.

On the other hand, I know that Doc enjoys her so there's some solace in that. :tranquillity:

C'est la vie,
Joe

Joe, why did you sell it?
I guess I missed that , it looked very cherry .
Dave

62Slimjim

Reaction score
Without a doubt, my Starfire XII, and if I did get it back, the first thing I would do is cut 6 extra slots in the tailpiece!!! Hard to believe they put a 6-stringer on it, talk about tuning problems!