X-170 bridge post spacing

Reaction score
X-170 bridge rosewood plain 3rd

Hello all,

I roughly measured the posts on my rosewood bridge to be what I think is about 3 inches. I'm wondering if anyone has the exact measurements and specs. I'm trying to see if it's compatible with a drop in saddle replacement compensated for a plain 3rd string. Seems very close and maybe I could be measuring it inaccurately. I don't really feel like going through the trouble of taking off my strings if I don't have to. Link to the saddle is here, which should fit standard tuneomatic post spacing:

http://www.sadowsky.com/store/true-tone-bridge-plain-g.html

Also if anyone knows where I could get a fitting rosewood replacement saddle compensated for a plain 3rd string, I would be grateful for any shared info.

Thanks so much,
Justin

Last edited:

cc_mac

Reaction score
Not sure of the answer for your guitar but some older Guilds are 3" which is a few 32nds more than the average Gibsonesque bridge. The radius should be 12" so you are ok there. You could hog the holes out on the Sadowsky to fit but you also need to take into account the string spacing on your X170 vs. the advertised spacing on the 2 3/32 E to E string spacing. If the Sadowsky is narrower than the Guild then your strings will get a bit crowded and perhaps not line up over the pole pieces.

The measurement for the post spacing is "on center" meaning the dead center of each post to the other. One idea is take a ruler and a piece of stiff paper or card stock (even and old folder would be OK) and cut a piece that is exactly 3". Cut it long and then trim it down to 3". Then measure and cut a piece that is hair more than 2 7/8" which will get you close to the 2 29/32" of the Sadowsky bridge. Place the over the bridge and carefully line it up. You should be able to quickly tell if yours is 3" or 2 29/32.

Do the same with string spacing as the strings cross your bridge but cutting a piece that is just a hair under 2 1/8 which will get you close to 2 3/32". measure underneath the strings from E-E right up against the bridge.

Measure three times. - buy once. I know that for experience :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the response!

Post spacing is definitely 3" and not the 2 29/32". String spacing looks to be just slightly narrower than the 2 3/32"; probably 2 1/16". So then what would I also need to consider if I'm considering a different bridge base? Contour of the top? Maintaining general string height?

I'm in contact with Sadowsky and waiting to see if the true-tone bridge is just a saddle replacement or bridge complete with base. I was unclear looking at their website and figured I'd ask and post an update here.

cc_mac

Reaction score
Justin,

Glad to be of assistance.

Two parts below and I apologize in advance for my wordiness.

Part One - What they are really offering

A looked again at the link and It doesn't show a base but also reads "Available individually ($50) or as a set ($90)" which suggests they also will provide a base for extra cash monies. That might be the way to go if you choose this bridge. Otherwise you'll be hogging out the holes to get it to fit your base. You can do that with a small round file. It can be done neatly if you are patient. You'll end up with ovals instead of holes and it'll fit. if you buy the base then you won't have to mess with the holes but you'll also have to tape a piece of 220 grit (or maybe more) sandpaper to your top and work the bottom of the base to fit your top. This is normal and no matter what base you choose it's likely you'll have to do that. No big deal - that gets done a lot and you can find videos on the YouTube to show you the way.

Another bit of verbiage from the page is "Saddles can be custom fit for fingerboard radius, string spacing or height by your local guitar tech." The off the shelf radius of 12" is right on to match that of your X-170. Because they spec out string spacing as well that suggests that what they've done is made a ready fit unit to match the Sadowsky guitars for which the specs per their web site are

2.9" (2-29/32") Post Spacing
2.09" (2-3/32") String Spacing (E-E)
12" Saddle Radius, 5/8" high at center

The "custom fit….local guitar tech" suggests that they will offer the unit without the slots filed for strings and perhaps unradiused. They probably have a box of Sadowsky spec and a box of unfinished units they pull orders from. It does't seem like they want to be in the long distance custom finishing business which frankly for them would be a time consuming and unprofitable endeavor.

Part Two

First, lets look back at the string spacing. You noted that it seems the E to E spacing on your existing bridge is just under the 2 3/32" spacing of the Sadowsky unit which means if you went with the one they offer your overall string spacing will be slightly more than what you have now. To put that into some perspective

Overall E - E spread increase (think in terms or string gauge which is diameter)
1/16" = .062" = the width of a low E and high E next to each other (roughly)
1/32" = .031" = roughly the width of a D string.

Look at your guitar strings over the pole pieces. If the spread increases overall by a 1/16" that moves E A D north a few thousandths and G B E South a few thousandths as they spread out and away from each other. Also look at the E and E and how close the are to the edge of the fret ends on the fingerboard. You'll have to decide if every string moved away from the center a little (think in terms of the diameter of a high E) would you be missing the pole pieces and falling off the edge of the fingerboard?

Another consideration is will spreading the strings out change the angle where the strings enter the nut enough to cause binding? This is a tough question and maybe it'll be so minimal that it won't matter.

*Bonus Issue and more measuring.

Keep in mind that the overall height of you bridge/base unit. With your X170 setup the way you like it is there any room left to lower the bridge? How tall is the Sadowsky bridge/base unit in comparison to yours? You may find it's simply too tall at it's lowest setting to work with your guitar. You can measure your overall height from the body of the guitar to the top center of your bridge. Make sure whatever you get goes that low or even a bit lower just to make sure it's a good fit with adjustment.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Chris,
Great post, I learned a few things in there!

Justin,
Guild once upon a time offered a bridge compensated for the plain 3rd string, I however have never seen one. But here is a picture of one.

http://www.guitarchives.nl/fotos/X-170T.jpg

maybe there is a NOS one laying around in the back room of some shop.

My Guild X170T had the same bridge. It was pinned (poorly) to the top. Honestly, I was not a fan. I replaced mine with a Compton, which was better, but the base still just felt like cheap metal.

_B0Z6360_800.jpg

cc_mac

Reaction score
Chris,
Great post, I learned a few things in there!

Glad you got something out of that. I enjoy working on guitars as a "hobby" and find that getting things to a good place is about taking measurements and thinking things through before taking any action. I really enjoy LTG more than any other instrument forum I've been on so I want to give back where possible.

cc_mac

Reaction score
I'm in contact with Sadowsky and waiting to see if the true-tone bridge is just a saddle replacement or bridge complete with base. I was unclear looking at their website and figured I'd ask and post an update here.

I hope you were able to get your bridge sorted out. I was thinking about a rosewood bridge for my Starfire IV and went back to the Sadowski site and I realized that what they mean by "sets" is that you can get either a saddle for plain or wound G for $50 or a set of both for $90. It does not appear that there is anything about the bridge base.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total