Thinking of selling my Gretsch... talk me into it.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm thinking of selling my beloved Gretsch Brian Setzer SSLVO. It's a fabulous guitar, and it's damn-near everything I could ever want in a hollow-body since I play a lot of Brian Setzer stuff, but I could sell it, but a kick-*** Starfire III and have an extra $1000 for something else.

The problem I have is that I generate stupid emotional attachments to things like instruments. I hate to see them go, and I hunted for this SSLVO for over a year before I found one I liked for the right price.

Now, I've owned a Starfire III in the past, and it was great, but it howled like a banshee at the gates of Hell... or something. Still, I quickly learned how to handle that. All I really want is a guitar with the right neck that doesn't suck and has a nice [Big|Guild]sby.

I hate parting with guitars, but I love getting new guitars, especially when they're Guilds. So, I figured I'd come here to the addicts and have you all pull me in deeper.

Wilfred

Reaction score
Well, hate to make this not easier for you, but you shouldn't sell your Gretsch. You clearly love your Gretsch, you have previously owned ánd sold a SFIII, you have answered your own question quite well I'd say.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
A fair statement, but I loved the SFIII too, and I sold it to get the Gretsch. I actually liked the neck better on the Guild, but I liked the pickups better in the gretsch. Maybe I should try to find a SFIII w/P90s.

dhdfoster

Reaction score
I don't like humbuckers, including Filtertrons, so I shouldn't get involved. I owned a pre-FMIC Setzer model and it sucked, but the FMIC stuff is great. That being said, I dearly love my Starfire III. :) My post is worthless.

idealassets

Reaction score
Past experience dictates that if I stay into playing guitar, I never want to loose the right guitar that works for me. Guitars are not all created equal. I owned and sold a mint 1997 SF III maple guitar one year ago. It was a beauty, but I realized that I am very into Leo Kottke, and even john Denver; so my aspirations went a different direction.

Hopefully a guy can find a way to afford a few different guitars, and not part with something that's a good one. But, if its a used car (so to speak) no harm, no foul.

CG

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, looking at this: http://www.gad.net/Blog/2011/06/07/how-to-capture-brian-setzers-tone/ it sounds like there was a lot of you attached to that Gretsch...Tough call...
Ralf

I tend to be a tad obsessive. I *NEEDED* to nail that tone. Once I did, I wrote it up and moved on. I've since sold off the Bassman and play through my Axe-FX. I still keep the pedals and a small champ clone I built for when I feel the need.

As much as it pains me to let things go, I often remind myself that they're just things. The only guitar I've let go that I truly regret is the first one I bought with my own money as a teen - my original S300A-D. Another one that I'd wish I'd kept was my old Starfire III because it was a great guitar, but I lusted for the Gretsch so I sold it. I usually fret constantly before a sale, but then discover that I don't miss it as much as I thought I would after I sell. I'm happy to have owned some great instruments.

One of the other things I learned (painfully, and over much time), is that as much as I might obsess over nuances of tone, the audience could not care less. Sure, they appreciate it when a cover song sounds like the original, but people don't usually go to a show for critical listening - they go to be entertained. A case in point. This is me playing at one of my kid's school functions. I'm playing a Stray Cats tune. It's just me - no band.

Everything about it is wrong. It's a digital amp, it's a Guild (well, that can never be wrong!), they're not dynasonic pickups - in fact - those are the Fender pickups I complain about all the time! My performance was OK at best, filled with plenty of clams and a noticeable lack of the rest of a band. I cringe when I watch the video.

But I still get comments about this show years later. They're putting together a show where I may play with the kids on every song because the adults that ran the show loved it so much. I still get comments from the parents who were there, asking when I'll do another.

By the way, that cool chain around my neck is my dog's collar. :wink-new:

_B0Z0541-CropNN-800.jpg

My point in all of this is that I try to remember that when it comes right down to it, I could have played that song with my Bengal Jackson 80's shredder and the crowd would have been just as entertained.

Thank you all for participating in my self-justification thread. :)

Robert Parker

Reaction score
GAD,
I am a new member, having just acquired my third Guild, a 1966 SF IV. It's funny how those of us on these boards are so alike; I certainly can relate to your problem!

In the giant scheme of things, it really doesn't matter what decision you make. After all, it's just a guitar that can be replaced without too much effort. That said, however, if money is not a huge issue, my advice would be to keep the Setzer. I had a 6120 DSW that I played at shows often, especially during my Brian Setzer phase. It sounded great but in a fit of GAS, I sold it. Now, it certainly didn't kill me, but I do regret selling the Gretsch. Even my wife, who rarely says anything about my gear, mentions from time to time how much she liked that guitar. Regarding your school performance, as you know, looks are as important as the music. I would bet that playing that cool orange Gretsch contributed to people's warm memories of your performance.

I've had many guitars since and enjoyed them all. But FWIW, I still thing about that Gretsch once in a while.
Best of luck with your decision and, by the way, I have really enjoyed reading your articles.
Robert

Last edited:

cc_mac

Reaction score
OK, so here's an idea. I don't know exactly which year the "reissue " Starfire 3 became available but the ones with the later Fender version of the HB1 seem to be as plentiful as any. If I recall correctly, those are the same same as size your average Gibson style humbucker. As you are known to not be a fan of those later HB1 pickups you could swap in TV Jones Classics that are for the "traditional humbucker cavity." Hmmmm.......

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The Gretsch SSLVO guitars are going to be around for a while. If you regret selling it down the line, you can always get another one.

SFIII with P90's sounds good to me! Or a Hoboken one with DeArmonds, even better.

Also - if you like "Rocking Hollowbodies", try one of the new Newark St. X175B's - you'll be pleasantly surprised, and your wallet too!

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'd sell it, too.

I briefly had a '61 double annie, which was the only Gretsch I'd ever owned. After getting a bit of restoration done on it, I flipped it to raise money for something I really wanted. I just couldn't find any quality in that guitar that justified what it was said to be worth. But there are Gretsch fans out there with deep pockets.

I suppose there are folks out there who scratch their heads and wonder why anybody would want a Guild.

Pine Apple Slim

Reaction score
I understand completely. I've sold several great guitars over 30 years or so in a fit of gas for something else that I was really into musically at the time. 61 SG/LP for a cheap mandolin and fiddle and a nice old Kay upright. A Ric bass and a 51' ES125 for a Gibson Mastertone banjo. And several less valuable instruments for other less valuable instruments. I especially bad at trading perfectly good basses away in a fit of guitar GAS if I don't have a bass gig at the moment. I misss em sometimes of course but then I wouldn't have a those great acoustic instruments.

Last edited:

smellygoatboy

Reaction score
Robert said it all. If the Setzer is a goodun, Keep it, by the time you find your Guild you might have saved enough pennies for it. Good luck.

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Maybe I should try to find a SFIII w/P90s.

If you can find one, that would be a great option. Mine impresses me to no end. (BTW, we live not far ... you're welcome to try mine out anytime.)

That said, not sure I would sell the Gretsch first. Find the SF III you want, then decide. If your space and budget can handle it. Harder to go wrong that way.
MD

Synchro

Reaction score
Man am I torn by this one. I think that the Starfire III is a great guitar. OTOH, I do moderate Gretsch-Talk and I am honor bound to defend the great name of Gretsch. :) So . . . what to do?

I don't think that there's a bad choice here, but I would remind you that the trestle braced Gretsch is great for fighting feedback in real world situations. As great as my Starfire sounds it is not the guitar for loud venues. Then again, you have a Starfire IV which will hold it's own in the war against feedback.

I guess I would look at it like this; if you envision yourself as a Gretsch owner in the long run, then I'd keep the SSLVO (unless you don't like it). Keep an eye peeled and eventually you'll find a Starfire for a low price.