Another '53 or '54 Red sunburst X150.

Neal

Reaction score
A lot different sunburst than my X-200. Much redder, at least in the photos. The X-150 appears to be a little earlier build, given the earliest-style one-piece headstock logo inlay.

And even calling it an "X-150" is speculative (as noted above in the thread), given that none of the known surviving red sunburst examples that appear to be early X-150's have labels.

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Congrats on acquiring another NY Guild.....

I've had a few guitars and some nice Guilds come and go....but the two "dinosaurs" in my avatar have hung around here a long time and get lots of playtime.....

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Absolutely Beautiful Neal, Nice Grab! I saw that one when it listed and was very Tempted. I passed due to just picking up Starlette. I am glad you got it and what a nice addition to your growing Hollow body collection!

TX

planetguy

Reaction score
Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
It is a mystery, planetguy.

I know that during the first year or so, Guild was experimenting with all sorts of different model designations as production geared up.

But why the omission of a label would pertain only to this particular model is anyone's guess.

As is calling them X-150's. They have been identified as such in the absence of a label, by matching them to known examples of labeled X-150's.

I would love to see photos of the headstock on yours. Is it the "first-generation" circa-1953 Guild inlay that is cut from a single piece of MOP, or the "second generation" circa-1954 inlay with six different pieces of MOP?

My X-200 is clearly the latter. It appears from the photos that the X-150 I have acquired is one of the former. I'll know for sure when it gets here next week.

Last edited:

MichelP

Reaction score
those are some lovely X-150's.

what is it with the 53/54's and th eno labels? i have onei picked up about a yr ago...not reddish but just a straightup 'burst that also sans label....and no evidence that there ever was one!

label or not...it's a keeper, that's for sure!

pics(post #8) and video(post#6) of me abusing her here: http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?187176-Early-50-s-X150-620-on-St-Louis-CL/page2

This absence of labels on old X150s perhaps explains why my GSR X150 Savoy from 2013 doesn't have one either. This takes exact copying of old models rather far!

planetguy

Reaction score
It is a mystery, planetguy.

I know that during the first year or so, Guild was experimenting with all sorts of different model designations as production geared up.

But why the omission of a label would pertain only to this particular model is anyone's guess.

As is calling them X-150's. They have been identified as such in the absence of a label, by matching them to known examples of labeled X-150's.

I would love to see photos of the headstock on yours. Is it the "first-generation" circa-1953 Guild inlay that is cut from a single piece of MOP, or the "second generation" circa-1954 inlay with six different pieces of MOP?

My X-200 is clearly the latter. It appears from the photos that the X-150 I have acquired is one of the former. I'll know for sure when it gets here next week.

Hi Neal. Sorry for the delay getting back to you w pics of the headstock. You know...for the MOST part the logo looks to me as several pcs....and then.....

so, solid one pc logo = '53 and multi pcs = '54? is that right?

Guild150_5.jpg

Guild150_2.jpg

Guild150_1.jpg

Guild150_3.jpg

Guild150_4.jpg

Last edited: