Another '53 or '54 Red sunburst X150.

mbrindell

Reaction score
Hi Friends, Sorry I haven't check in in a while, but after reading the recent thread of the other reddish sunburst X150 I decided to post mine I recently bought from ebay that Kent was talking about. Mine also has no label or any glue residue that one was ever there. It had a white TRC on it and when I took it off had Silvertone written on the back side the same as the other. The pickguard was studded with rhinestones at some point but the guitar is in the same basic condition as the other shown. Same finish checking as well. The guitar is entirely original though Ziz is fabricating me a new pickguard and TRC to make it look better. It also has the kluson tuners with the plastic buttons. Mine is actually the 5th red sunburst '53/'54 X150 or X100 that I have ever seen. Ziz has two, Wilfred has one, I have one and I was sent a photo of one from the Netherlands, I believe, on my facebook page. None of these X150s have labels or serial numbers. I would hope that Hans may check in and give any info he may have about these early rare finish Guilds. The guitar is in really great condition with some small binding issues that I don't really care about at this point. It plays very well with a straight neck and good frets. The sound from it's black franz neck pickup is loud and strong and not muffled at all. Here are some photos. I will also be sanding and staining the peghead to remove the scratches.

Thanks for looking. MB

Wilfred

Reaction score
Hi MB, the one from The Netherlands is actually mine, so it's 4 not 5 actually.
I love your Facebook page dedicated to old Guilds!

mbrindell

Reaction score
Hi Wilfred, Thanks for sending the photo and clearing that up for me. Yours is a beauty as well. Seems strange both of our had Silvertone TRCs on them. MB

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

Thats an example of how difficult it is to judge condition based on bad Ebay photos. Looked OK to me, but maybe like trouble.....
But here it is, you took the chance..........Its beautiful!
I almost tried for it myself just because having two of them somehow was making sense to me for awhile there.....
This is better!

I'd go easy on fussing with that headstock though.....maybe let it be?

I've tallied up four of these without labels or serial numbers since I began paying attention to them.
My '53 X-100 with the same finish has a label with a '53 serial number. Why no labels on these oldies that look like we should call them X-150's?
Still a mystery to me.

Mine arrived with the plastic buttoned Waverly tuners as well......but I switched them with metal buttoned versions to give me the sense (illusion) that I was adding enough weight to the headstock to counterbalance what I perceived as a somewhat butt-heavy guitar. I'm convinced that it worked....:tranquillity:.....sorta.

A great sounding instrument.......I play and enjoy my Hoboken era Guilds, but something about these old NY tanks with the big long scale "Epiphone" sort of necks just seems more like home to me.

z

john_kidder

Reaction score
first visit to the board for a long while, and mbrindell immediately clears up my lingering questions about my '53 or '54 X100 or X150 - part of me thought, it being reddish and all, that it might have been refinished at some long-ago point. Guess not. I'll post pics tomorrow in the daylight.

mbrindell

Reaction score
Please post photos. I would love to see it. I am wondering if yours has or ever had a label in the bass side f-hole. All the others I know of, about 4 of them, don't have a label.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
first visit to the board for a long while, and mbrindell immediately clears up my lingering questions about my '53 or '54 X100 or X150 - part of me thought, it being reddish and all, that it might have been refinished at some long-ago point. Guess not. I'll post pics tomorrow in the daylight.

Great to see you back here John! We've missed you around these parts.

mbrindell

Reaction score
Yep John, That looks exactly like mine in parts and finish. Another two I know of as well. None of ours have labels in the f-holes. Is there any indication if your has or has had a label? I find it a mystery that all these red sunburst finishes have no labels. I would like to solve that mystery. Mike B

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Its the several known examples of the early Guilds we're calling X-150's that have no labels and apparently never did.....
My '53 X-100 with the exact same finish and build has a '53 label with serial #1235.....and except for the lack of cutaway could be the twin to my own "X-150".
I had posted on this subject recently.....here they are again.....

z

valcotone

Reaction score
hi, Beautiful guitar!! I can understand your motivation to refinish the peghead.... but once that's done, there's no going back. If it were mine (and I realize it isn't of course, lol), I would leave it in it's original state.

I will also be sanding and staining the peghead to remove the scratches.

3_zps5e96d003.jpg

Neal

Reaction score
Reviving this old thread. I just purchased this guitar on Reverb, the same day it was listed. I'm absolutely sure it is the same one, given the rhinestone treatment on the pickguard.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Wow! A nice companion to your '54 X-200! Congratulations!

walrus

Neal

Reaction score
Precisely! That was my exact thought when I first saw it, Walrus.

Thinking of keeping flatwounds on one and round wounds on the other.