Hey All! Guild-CO-1C

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I just signed up and wanted to introduce myself! I'm not a Guild owner yet, but I'm looking at a used Guild CO-1C elec/acoustic cutaway. It's got a couple dings and the asking price is $900 (was tagged $990).

I can;t seem to find too much info on these though. There was talk in another forum about there being neck issues. Truth is I liked the way it played and sounded, but want to get some expert opinions before buying it.

Anyone know anything about these??

Thanks!

Rob

geoguy

Reaction score
Welcome . . . I've never played one of the "contemporary" models, but I believe the issue you're referring to is the neck-block system that Guild used in those guitars.

You might find more info if you search re: a slightly-different model name, e.g. CV-1C.

I think the short story is that if it plays well, doesn't appear to need a neck reset, & you like it . . . go for it.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Some people have had great luck and love 'em, but not everyone. Check that the guitar isn't a second, and make sure the neck is straight.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Rob!
The "neck woes" are well documented in this old thread (click on the link):
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...ed-Trainwreck-Neck&highlight=train+wreck+neck
Bear in mind there may be more there than you ever really wanted to know, but it is the story of one member's experience with one of the Contemporarys that had neck issues.
"If I recall correctly", somewhere in there it's mentioned that the problem seemed to be that insufficiently dried wood was used for some necks, and he got one of those.
It'll also help you id an instrument that was put through liquidation, ie marked used and/or has a bar code sticker. That in itself is not a sign of a bad instrument. If the neck on the one you're looking at appears straight and true after all this time, it's very unlikely it'll go south on you any time soon.
Let us know if you need tips on how to verify the neckset angle is good and not twisted.
Or you may see enough in that thread to figure it out yourself.
:wink: