Bisonic pickup find

fretwear

Reaction score
Hey hey, located a vintage Bisonic pup that needs to be rewound. It has a small piece of brown board with two eyelets where the blue and red leads are terminated. It has a resistor inline with red lead. I searched the "internets" for an example of Bisonics with inline resistors and came up empty. Any Ideas, is this the bridge pup for a '68 or newer Starfire with the tone switch? Or?

Thanks in Advance

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Pics would always be appreciated! I can't hazard a guess, but there's the possibility that it might be off a Hagstrom bass too. I'm sure one of the heavy hitters will weigh in when they wake up around noon.:sleeping:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Not a heavy hitter and unfortunatey was awake long before noon...but a good place to start would be to contact Curtis Novak pickups or possibly FixIt on this forum.

I have also read a couple recent mentions of people on this forum sending vintage Guilds to Guild in New Hartford for factory restoration. I may need to look into that option for a couple small things myself, since I can actually drive to New Hartford.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
It doesn't sound like anything I have seen or heard. The possibility that it did not come from a Guild might be explored. I don't recall any differences other than the mounting pieces on Bisonics destined for the neck and Bisonics destined for the bridge (or for the "sweet spot"). The suck switch electronics were outside of the PU, as I understand it. Pictures would definitely help. In the meantime it might be worth tracking done FixIt's pics of twocorgi's Greenie, on the bench.

fretwear

Reaction score
I plan on sending the BS pup to Curtis for repair. Just wondering about the resistor, I've seen the small two eyelet boards on other pics of BS's but can't find mention of the inline resistor. The tried to decode the value, 4 band, yellow, violet, orange, silver, puts it at 4.7k ohms, but check me I could be off. The placement is on the pickup side of the eyelet. The resistor is inline with the red lead, the blue lead is paired with a blue lead from the chrome trim ring.
I need to learn how to post pics, prob is I'm old enough that I'm still rubbing two sticks together trying to make fire..... posting pics might be out of reach. I'll work on it.

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
One more thing to think of is that I'm pretty sure that there with Bisonics with different pole spacing that were used in the earlier Hagstrom Coronado basses and perhaps others. Are you certain this one came out of a star fire bass?

Edit: Here's the thread that Frono was referencing, and the picture:

IMG_1446.jpg

Last edited: