Major Newbie Alert: Starfire III vs IV discussion

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Cool thread. I would love to own one of the Westerly or Corona built SFIVs. So well built, some really fine deals out there. And yes, it will be very different from the SF III. Mine is Westerly (I think), with P-90s. Had several older Guilds at this point - including a '75 SF VI I was foolish to part with - and this SF III is the one that captivates me most. So much to appreciate. The Bigsby is the best feeling one I've ever played, and seems to help in damping feedback. The guitar is heavier than the oldies, which also seems to affect feedback. It's quite manageable. Tonally, never heard anything like it. Huge sounding P-90s, airier, bigger sounding due to the hollowbody then the solidbody P90 guitars I've played.

I like this SF III so much, I'd love to own a humbucker version too. Solid guitars, as good as anything Guild ever put out IMO.
MD

OnFallowGround

Reaction score
Well, if you're interested in one of the newark street models, I'll likely be offering up a brand new one next week. Since I ordered both at the same time, I'll need to offload one. I think I'm going to keep the IV and sell the III, but I suppose strangers things have happened. They're both arriving next week so I'll see which one I like more.

Not sure what I'll try to get for it for elsewhere, but I'd sell the NS Starfire III to my new LTG friends for $950 paypalled and shipped ($150 off the cheapest you'll find it anywhere else in the same condition).

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Well?...did you get that Starfire IV from Kansas City?....how is it?

Dano

Reaction score
... The video I saw was this:

... and that's all it took. That's the tone. I had to have one. ... [/longest thread ever]

Me too! This is the video that got me looking for my Starfire a few years back. I ended up with a 96 or 97 SFII in Blonde (maple), and it has THAT sound, especially thru the right overdrive (depends on my mood) and a Fender Vibrolux (had that before). It mellows out to play Jazzy stuff, but also gets brighter than the typically Gibby Humbucker if you want it to. There's also a clip by the same guy of similar playing style on a 60's SFIV that's quite good...

OnFallowGround

Reaction score
Well?...did you get that Starfire IV from Kansas City?....how is it?

Argh, STILL waiting. I ordered it on Christmas eve and the tracking information hasn't changed since the 27th in MO. He sent it usps (blech). The post office says they don't know where it is or when it will be here.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Be patient and try to relax. I know the feeling...and I know it's difficult. Geez...I sold my Larrivee parlor Friday and shipped it to Maryland then realized all the frigid weather and snow going on between here and Maryland. Having a cold beer now :)

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Whatever you do, in this weather, let it sit in the box in your warm house for 12 hours minimum before you open it. I'd bring it in, let it sit for six hours, pull the case out of the box, let it sit for six hours, go to bed, then open the case the next morning.

OnFallowGround

Reaction score
Whatever you do, in this weather, let it sit in the box in your warm house for 12 hours minimum before you open it. I'd bring it in, let it sit for six hours, pull the case out of the box, let it sit for six hours, go to bed, then open the case the next morning.

This feels like some twisted ngd torture chamber.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
This feels like some twisted ngd torture chamber.

It absolutely is, but sudden changes in temperature cause finish cracking. In this weather, that guitar's probably been sitting in a cold warehouse and on cold trucks for days. It will need to acclimate or you'll see and hear the finish crack when you open the case in a warm house.

OnFallowGround

Reaction score
A more thorough photoshoot coming this evening, but the first thing I had to know was if these indeed had the HB-1s, the SD-1s, or the Fenders... Hans suggested SD-1s, which I'd be very happy with, but I wanted to make sure:

adjustmentscrews.jpg

Not being as seasoned as some of you all, the screws looked a little closer together to me than the SD-1s. But upon further inspection...

sd1s.jpg

They sure look like the Duncans to me!

Very pleased with this purchase. More to come!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
SD1s for sure. Here's my pic of SD1s from the blog:

1997-Seymour-Duncan-SD1-Back.jpg

It's purdy - how's it sound?

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Congrats! I had a feeling you were going to like that one (kicking myself...and it was in my hands!!!).

:)