Major Newbie Alert: Starfire III vs IV discussion

Smitch

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Oh wait, nevermind. I didn't see you already bought it. Nice!

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratultions OFG! Great price too on the burst! You've done good my friend!

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
When you get it, make sure that you check the serial number to verify the year. Also, remove the pickups and take a look at what they have to say on the bottom. If it's a 93 with Guild HB1's, you've got yourself a REALLY nice score!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Here's the young lady who stole my heart this morning:

00t0t_lK3AmUI1dgU_600x450.jpg

Hello OnFallowGround,

Looks more like a 1997-model to me; should have SD-1 pickups!

Enjoy the guitar!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

OnFallowGround

Reaction score
Hello OnFallowGround,

Looks more like a 1997-model to me; should have SD-1 pickups!

Enjoy the guitar!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Interesting. Thanks for the info! A smarter man would have probably asked for a serial number prior to purchasing. I'll let you guys know.

I wonder if I can get a few bucks back from false advertising! :)

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Interesting. Thanks for the info! A smarter man would have probably asked for a serial number prior to purchasing. I'll let you guys know.

I wonder if I can get a few bucks back from false advertising! :)
The good news is that it likely has the same pickups as the guitar in the video you posted. If you're aiming for that sound, you might have a "happy accident" on your hands. :)

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nothing wrong with SD1s, and you know what? That's STILL a great price! Westerly guitars are phenomenal, and are my favorite electrics from any era Guild.

I actually prefer the thickness of the late-90s Starfires to the thinner early-to-mid-90s Starfires.

It all comes down to this: Play them both, keep the one that sings to you. I've been lucky enough to own a lot of fantastic guitars, many costing thousands. My favorite electric is a 2004 Japanese Jackson that the Jackson guys laugh at. It's got plastic inlays, a licenses Floyd Rose, and doesn't have any of the high-end features of the made-in-USA Jacksons. It doesn't come close to the build quality of any Westerly or Fender Guild electric, but it's still my go-to guitar. The only thing I've changed in it are the pickups. I'm an absolute snob when it comes to guitars. I've owned four kick-*** US-made Jacksons including a custom-shop model, but that "cheap" import Jackson just fits my hand like a glove and I love it to death. Keep the guitar that sings to you and you'll never be sorry.

Last edited:

Wilfred

Reaction score
Keep the guitar that sings to you and you'll never be sorry.

Nail on the head. I've owned many, many wonderful (bass) guitars of several brands. After a significant amount of playing time you just know if it's a keeper or not. Listen and play with your ears, eyes and hands and the answer my friend, is blowing in the wind... ;-)

OnFallowGround

Reaction score
Keep the guitar that sings to you and you'll never be sorry.

Indeed! I'm sure a lot of you have seen this video where John Mayer talks about building his dream guitar with the Fender Custom Shop:

Fun watch. I love his first attempt at "changing the molecular composition of the guitar." Anybody ever done anything that crazy? But I love his point that you may find a guitar that plays and sounds like a dream, and it might be in sunburst, and you hate sunburst, but if that's your guitar, that's your guitar. You can't deny it when you find it.

So here's to hoping I've found it!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Fun watch. I love his first attempt at "changing the molecular composition of the guitar." Anybody ever done anything that crazy?

No, but then I would have checked for disconnected grounds before I put my new one-of-a-kind custom shop guitar in the freezer. :lemo:

OnFallowGround

Reaction score
No, but then I would have checked for disconnected grounds before I put my new one-of-a-kind custom shop guitar in the freezer. :lemo:

Haha, I know, right? Not exactly a strong endorsement for the quality control at Fender's Custom Shop either.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Whoah there!...Lake Placid??...You are buying that Guild Starfire IV long distance. I know because I just played that VERY guitar last week!!!
Located in Kansas City, MO at the "Folk" music store (a store which is part of the Kansas City Folk Music Society).

Funny thing....I sold an old Yairi DY45 to a great guy locally on Craigslist. He'd been looking for a good one...and my DY45 was one of those "I'll never sell her" guitars. Well..I sold her. When he asked me why I was selling I told him I was on the lookout for a Guild....had too many guitars....blah blah etc. etc.

This buyer called me last week. Said he was eating lunch down by Folk and noticed that they had a MINT D25CH for sale. He explained that it made my near mint Yairi DY45 look well used by comparison (hard to believe..the Yairi was in great shape). SO....that was all the motivation that I needed to leave work and drive 30 minutes to downtown to see this mint D25CH. Long story short....it is a neat store that I hadn't been to prior. The D25CH was NOT MINT...and as a matter of fact was cracked in 3 separate places on its top. Despite its cracks it sounded GREAT. It had other minor cosmetic issues....I passed on it given their $850 price tag.

Whilst I was perusing the store...the ONLY other guitar that caught my eye....was that very sunburst Starfire IV that you are writing about. Had I known...I would've given it a higher level inspection. I did play it and thought it was VERY nice. I even commented to my brother that I had thought it was " a whole lot of guitar for $1K ". I found no obvious imperfections on that guitar. They also had an older Guild electric (black) next to it that I didn't mess with.

Ooops...I did pick up a Martin OM Norman Blake edition and fiddled a bit too :)

SMALL WORLD!!!! Let me know how it goes!

Kit in KC

Last edited:

OnFallowGround

Reaction score
Whoah there!...Lake Placid??...You are buying that Guild Starfire IV long distance. I know because I just played that VERY guitar last week!!!
Located in Kansas City, MO at the "Folk" music store (a store which is part of the Kansas City Folk Music Society).

Funny thing....I sold an old Yairi DY45 to a great guy locally on Craigslist. He'd been looking for a good one...and my DY45 was one of those "I'll never sell her" guitars. Well..I sold her. When he asked my why I was selling I told him I was on the lookout for a Guild....had too many guitars....blah blah etc. etc.

This buyer called me last week. Said he was eating lunch down by Folk and noticed that they had a MINT D25CH for sale. He explained that it made my near mint Yairi DY45 look well used (hard to believe..it was in great shape). SO....that was all the motivation that I needed to leave work and drive 30 minutes to downtown to see this mint D25CH. Long story short....it is a neat store that I hadn't been to prior. My D25CH was NOT MINT...and as a matter of fact was cracked in 3 separate places on its top. Despite its cracks it sounded GREAT. I passed on it given their $850 price tag.

Whilst I was perusing the store...the ONLY other guitar that caught my eye....was that very sunburst Starfire IV that you are writing about. Had I known...I would've given it a higher level inspection. I did play it and thought it was VERY nice. I even commented to my brother that I had thought it was " a whole lot of guitar for $1K ". I found no obvious imperfections on that guitar. They also had an older Guild electric (black) next to it that I didn't mess with.

Kit in KC

Ha, Kit that's wild! Small world indeed. Glad to hear you liked it/didn't see anything wrong with it.

I got him to send me the serial number in an email this morning and sure enough (good eye Hans!), it's a 97 not a 93 as advertised. Still a Westerly though.

I'm sure I'll love it either way.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
I can't speak for the "folks" at that store specifically....but I'd think you are in good hands with honest people. These are musicians and the support people running the KC Folk Society first...and they are selling guitars second. They sell mostly used vintage pieces (and lots of them). I know which repair guy (luthier) they use...as I use the same guy...and he is imo the best guy in the city (not that your Starfire needs anything). If you need any assistance...lemme know. I thought about snatching it up myself....then caught myself getting all silly and such.

Kit

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total

Funny thing....I sold an old Yairi DY45 to a great guy locally on Craigslist. He'd been looking for a good one...and my DY45 was one of those "I'll never sell her" guitars. Well..I sold her. When he asked me why I was selling I told him I was on the lookout for a Guild....had too many guitars....blah blah etc. etc.

This buyer called me last week. Said he was eating lunch down by Folk and noticed that they had a MINT D25CH for sale. He explained that it made my near mint Yairi DY45 look well used by comparison (hard to believe..the Yairi was in great shape). SO....that was all the motivation that I needed to leave work and drive 30 minutes to downtown to see this mint D25CH. Long story short....it is a neat store that I hadn't been to prior. The D25CH was NOT MINT...and as a matter of fact was cracked in 3 separate places on its top. Despite its cracks it sounded GREAT. It had other minor cosmetic issues....I passed on it given their $850 price tag.

Ooops...I did pick up a Martin OM Norman Blake edition and fiddled a bit too :)

Kit in KC

SAY WHUH?!?!?

Kit, can you please elaborate on this one? what was this mysterious black guild guitar?

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Sitting next to Mr. Lake Placid's Starfire (which is "sold, packed, and ready to ship to NY" per the nice gent at the store) is a 1967 T-100, 2 pickups, in "rare" factory black. I didn't pull it down....it was not mint but looked to be a pretty good player. Asking $1550 and I'd assume somewhat negotiable. As I recall when I walked in pre Christmas he said "tomorrow everything will be 20% off for one day only". They publish their inventory here http://www.folkalliance.org/store/store-inventory/ if you care to browse....but not much Guild to look at.

Anyway....hope it helped. In the meantime...could someone please sell me (for a reasonable sum) a Guild F20...AND take my Larrivee parlor in trade :)

Kit

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Hi great clip thanks for posting. I have the same guitar without the Guildsby, a 1997 Starfire 2 (also sunburst w/Duncan pickups). have actually been on the fence about possibly parting with it. As amazing as that thing is, I have found really that solid body, flat top, single coil- and in most cases a single pick up- electrics, are really more my thing. (Guild S-50 or a Les Paul Jr). Although I do have a semi hollow tele I love. Anyway I suppose you are good with the 2 you just bought for now, but down the road if you are interested, and especially since within driving distance, id consider selling it. I love the Starfire 2 for what it is, it sounds unreal. Its hard to explain though my brain just likes playing single coils better or something. Not that I've given it much of a chance, as I have barely even played it, but it just might not be my thing. and it cost about double the price of the guitars I actually play. so that is my predicament. could still warm up to it though, who knows. Enjoy your new Guilds! I am certainly enjoying mine for now, just not sure if its a definate keeper yet.

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Sitting next to Mr. Lake Placid's Starfire (which is "sold, packed, and ready to ship to NY" per the nice gent at the store) is a 1967 T-100, 2 pickups, in "rare" factory black. I didn't pull it down....it was not mint but looked to be a pretty good player. Asking $1550 and I'd assume somewhat negotiable. As I recall when I walked in pre Christmas he said "tomorrow everything will be 20% off for one day only". They publish their inventory here http://www.folkalliance.org/store/store-inventory/ if you care to browse....but not much Guild to look at.

Anyway....hope it helped. In the meantime...could someone please sell me (for a reasonable sum) a Guild F20...AND take my Larrivee parlor in trade :)

Kit
Thank you so much for the info. That's gotta be one really cool guitar. Not the era/model I'm looking for, but someone is going to make a good home for it one of these days, I'm sure.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
LA....it most def had mojo. I'm really not an electric guy and have limited knowledge. Frankly Lake Placid's Starfire IV caught my eye while the T-100 really did not. I picked up the Starfire for a twirl and was impressed (sales guy offered to plug me in and I declined). I just have an affinity for the Guild's so here we are. Have a good weekend...I know you will...family in Seal Beach told me the Christmas weather was FABULOUS (jealous).