VHT Super 6 amp

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks to the wonder of cash back bonuses, the head version of one of these is going under the tree for my buddy. Any impressions? Seems to be a very mod-friendly amp. It comes with a 12ax7 and a 6v6, but simple mods will let you run an el34 and a socket adapter will let you run an el84 too.

VHT_Special6_01.jpg

Reaction score
I have a combo version of this amp. I bought it off craigslist for $160.00 and for that price it's a lot of amp. I too like the ability to try out different tubes in the amp. After trying a few, I am currently using a old 6V6 and a couple of old vintage preamp tubes and it sounds great for a bedroom practice amp. I have used a 6L6GC in it with no problems but when I put a EL34 in it I had cutout problems, too much draw I guess. I don't have the adaptor to try the EL84. I have run it through a 2X12 cabinet with old greenbacks and it really sounds much better but it could be just because it's going through two speakers instead of just the one 12, or the VHT speaker is not broken in yet. I have thought about going through the amp and replacing the caps and resistors with higher quality components but I have not had the time. It will do some clean sounds as long as you don't turn the volume up to much. My Guilds with the HB-1 pick ups push the amp pretty hard, same with my Gibson's with P-90 pickups. My Gibsons with humbuckers not so much. My only other amp was a 1964 Fender Tremolux so I was looking for a little more grit and distortion when I picked up the VHT and I am quite happy with the new sound. I think it is a pretty decent amp, especially for the cost and quite portable. I have not tried in a jam/band setting but it should work just fine there if you're looking for lots of distortion.
A couple of months ago I bought a Mesa TA-15 when my local Guitar Center was disposing of their Mesa inventory as they are losing their distributorship. The TA-15 is a lot of amp for such a small size and I got a great deal on it at $550.00 when they usually list around $900.00 It still has a 5 year warranty and Mesa's customer service is second to none. The Mesa is a lot more versatile amp but also costs more too. It does the Vox thing real well as well as cleans and grit at 5, 15 and 25 watts. Check out your local GC as mine still has a few Mesas left at real nice prices. I would hope the Mesa would hold it's value better too.
Thanks and have a great holiday season.
John

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm not interested in the Mesas as amps are not really a problem for me, lol. This one only ran me $28 and change, cash, so I'm not worried about it's lack of features. It's going to replace one of my personal amps over at his house. The adapter for the el84 sounds interesting, but I don't know that I will be able to get one before Xmas.

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
I used to have the combo version. It was a lot of amp for the money although I thought the speaker was pretty bland. Run through a 2x12 cab I thought the amp sounded real good in a tweed Champ kinda way. I only ever ran it with a 6V6. There is a pull boost too, if I recall. I sold mine, just too many amps and not enough time to play them. Of course I've probably bought 5 or 6 more amps since I sold the VHT...