gigbag that will fit a Starfire bass

fretwear

Reaction score
Hey, any ideas on a gigbag that will fit a Starfire bass?
Thanks

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nope, although you might want to specify which era Starfire. As documented here there are some differences in headstock/tuner sizes and the 90's basses are a touch thinner. That said a gig bag might not be form fitting enough for those differences to matter.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Hi fretwear, where are you located? I've got sort of a mystery gigbag that should fit a starfire bass with a bit extra space around the body even. I feel like it was meant for a short scale acoustic bass but i'm not positive. Anyway i never use it so i wouldn't mind parting with it. Could be a cheap option if the shipping wasn't too far

fretwear

Reaction score
Thanks mellowgerman, I sent you a PM. Sounds like it would work, I have a full size acoustic bass bag that I use for a Jack Casady Sig,it fits ok with room for more padding. But that could be a good thing.....

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Hi sorry about the delayed response. I tried to send a private message but according to my "sent" folder that message never existed... Not sure what the deal is there. Probably my inability to use technology correctly or maybe an issue with my browser. But in any case, the bag was left at my parents' house while I was still in college and now we can't seem to find it anywhere... I feel bad about the false alarm. If it turns up I'll get in touch!

fretwear

Reaction score
thanks mellowgerman, I just checked and your PM came thru no prob,

edwin

Reaction score
Here's my utterly awesome Starfire gig bag from Glenn Cronkhite. It's the most protective and well built gig bag I've ever seen. I've heard that he's been having trouble with his health, so he's not making new models of bags, but he has the template, so it should be available. The price is very reasonable for a leather gig bag of this quality. I had him make the pocket big enough to hold the Alembic power supply, 5 pin cable, strap and assorted other accessories. I wouldn't use any other gig bag with a hollow body bass.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Geeez, Edwin. That thing looks nicely padded, but what happens if a big ol' subwoofer crashes down on that thing in the truck? (I know the result from sad experience.)

Or more simply, a girlfriend, boyfriend, in-law, or acquaintance "inadvertently" sits on the damn thing. (ditto above)

Yeah, I hate the weight of a good case, but I deal with it.

edwin

Reaction score
If it's going in a truck, or even in the back of a van or a car, it rides in a Calton, which could be dropped out of an airplane. In the gig bag, it never gets placed where it could be sat on. It only rides in passenger front seat with me. I've got to say that the Starfire is a pretty sturdy bass and I've gigged this bass pretty hard since 2007 without any mishaps. Knock on wood.

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
If it's going in a truck, or even in the back of a van or a car, it rides in a Calton, which could be dropped out of an airplane. In the gig bag, it never gets placed where it could be sat on. It only rides in passenger front seat with me. I've got to say that the Starfire is a pretty sturdy bass and I've gigged this bass pretty hard since 2007 without any mishaps. Knock on wood.

It sounds like your bass is babied and loved!