Experience with the GAD jumbos? F-150/F-150R

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I was hopin' you'd have my back. Just didn't have time to search.
Might even remember it now....:friendly_wink:

Always Al! For some odd reason every time I hear the word "Carpathian" I think of the movie "Ghostbusters II" and the painting of Prince Vigo suffering form "Carpathian Kitten Loss"! LOL!:semi-twins:

TX

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Always Al! For some odd reason every time I hear the word "Carpathian" I think of the movie "Ghostbusters II" and the painting of Prince Vigo suffering form "Carpathian Kitten Loss"! LOL!:semi-twins:
TX
Could be worse, could be carpathian tunnel syndrome.
Oh waitaminnit, my bad, I just remembered it's "carpal" tunnel syndrome, brought on by trying to handle too many wiggling slippery giant goldfish.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd like to butt in for a moment if I may!

Besides my F-50 and JF-30, I currently still own an Epiphone EJ-200, as well as an EJ-200ce. And a Gretsch Rancher, And a Mitchell 12 string.
And I USED to own 2 other EJ200s, a Washburn EA40, a Guild D25M, a Gibson J160E, and old 1970s FG series Yamaha, A Harmony, a Kay and a bunch of other things...and that's just the acoustics!

Why?

I used to tell myself..."well, I can't afford this right now, but I CAN afford that and can possibly make it work". And I spent a bunch of time and money TRYING to make the EJs work!

If I were to total up all the "just for now" guitars I bought that ultimately did NOT make me happy, I could have bought BOTH my current Guilds and still had money left over! And more space in my "music room"!

I know hindsight is 20/20, but if there is any possible way to hold out and save up a little more dough to get a good, used American-made Guild...do it! You will be oh-so-glad you did!

GADs? Fine guitars "for what they are". Yes, I have played them.
Epiphones? (including the Masterbuilts) Fine for what they are and what they cost.
And ultimately, they will leave you wanting!
American made Guilds? No qualifiers needed. One of the best guitars you will ever play regardless of cost!
It will absolutely BLOW YOU AWAY, especially after an EJ200!

Deals can be found on used, well-cared for JF30s and F-50s.
JMHO...but, I kinda know what I'm talking about!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think Retro Rocker stated it the BEST right above. I have nothing to add. No one is trying to discourage anyone buying a Chinese (Korean/Mexican/Whatever) guitar..... buy them, play them enjoy them. But in the big scheme of things, there are differences. And we are trying to make you aware of our personal experiences. What we've come to know over time. If you want to disregard it, that's fine. Always pick the BEST guitar that you can afford, and maybe even a tad ABOVE what you can afford. You won't be sorry. And if the situation comes to pass that you have to pass it on, then you'll be happy you did. That's all. :encouragement:

Oh wait... did I get us back on topic? That's SO unlike me...... sorry.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I love my USA built Guilds and don't regret buying any of them. They are just truly fine guitars. I've owned a couple GAD models and they weren't bad, just not as good as the USA models IMHO. I will say though, I've owned several Epi Masterbilt models (none currently) and a ton of the Chinese Blueridge guitars (3 currently) and I've been more than happy with them. Especially the Blueridge BR 160 and my 2 Jumbo Maples, the BG 3500 and the BG 1500E. They are great gigging guitars and offer a lot of value for the money. Plus, if I smack 'em up a bit, although I'm not real happy about it, I can accept it. It would pain me greatly to cause damage to any of my USA built Guilds.

Different tools for different purposes is how tend to look at them.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I love my USA built Guilds and don't regret buying any of them. They are just truly fine guitars. I've owned a couple GAD models and they weren't bad, just not as good as the USA models IMHO. I will say though, I've owned several Epi Masterbilt models (none currently) and a ton of the Chinese Blueridge guitars (3 currently) and I've been more than happy with them. Especially the Blueridge BR 160 and my 2 Jumbo Maples, the BG 3500 and the BG 1500E. They are great gigging guitars and offer a lot of value for the money. Plus, if I smack 'em up a bit, although I'm not real happy about it, I can accept it. It would pain me greatly to cause damage to any of my USA built Guilds.

Different tools for different purposes is how tend to look at them.

I have room down the Rd for another Blueridge that being a BR 283A - 05 Brazilian ... I can dream can't I lol

kt66

Reaction score
The upgrade path of EJ200 to used GAD 150 to used US JF30 to used US J50/JF65 would be enjoyable and rewarding
buy only used and you won't lose much if anything at all

It's all about the journey.

I got my 99 JF65 recently after 25 years of playing Sigma and Cort, it makes
me appreciate the Guild even more.

cutrofiano

Reaction score
Oh knower of ALL THINGS.....And I knew you'd give your opinion, even though I said.... don't. :frustrating:.

I am quite sobered, this discourtesy is not commented at all by none of tho other members.
Thank you folks, I am out.

Cheers,
Moritz

Last edited: