NIGHT SHIFT Song List

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So I was just updating the song list for my band NIGHT SHIFT and I see we now have 144 songs in our repertoire!

How many of these do you know?

NightShiftList-Rep_p1_zps40733ff6.jpg

NightShiftList-Rep_p2_zpsba437d61.jpg

NightShiftList-Rep_p3_zpsb1d26f80.jpg

NightShiftList-Rep_p4_zpsd3be2b84.jpg

One of our musical mission statements is to play all kinds of music so everyone in the crowd will hear something they like!

crank

Reaction score
My last cover band had a similar list with over 150 songs. I needed to get the setlist a few days in advance of a gig to make sure I could remember all the chords, solos, structure... sucks getting old.

I am now in 2 cover bands and when I learn a song for one I am always lobbying the other to add it so that I will have fewer songs to remember. lol

Grot, I know at least half of your list. Give me a call if you ever need a substitute guitar picker.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm kind of afraid to try and figure out how many of those I have actually heard Night Shift play. Remembering sets after several beers gets a little difficult ;-)

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of afraid to try and figure out how many of those I have actually heard Night Shift play. Remembering sets after several beers gets a little difficult ;-)
Remembering where you parked your car after several beers can be difficult, as well.
But then, your designated driver probably knows where it is. :eagerness:

Joe

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I know most of them - Night Shift and I appear to have similar tastes! And I know how to play 11 of them! Gotta love "Secret Agent Man"...

walrus

tjmangum

Reaction score
I think I'm good for about 95% of these tunes. My popular music knowledge pretty much faded about 1980. I was a disc jockey on small town radio stations from 74-78, playing everything from pop to country to big band-easy listening and a lot of these are inscribed inside my skull. "Secret Agent Man" the song, by Johnny Rivers and the TV show with Patrick McGoohan were both great.
T

charliea

Reaction score
When I take my show to the gutter (some call it busking, but with me it's more like burping) I try hard to have 20 songs ready to go, meaning I can do them without multiple mistakes and grinding humiliation. I can't retain more than that, and regurgitate them in any kind of show biz fashion. That you guys can work off a list that extensive is, to me, amazing.

StanBlues

Reaction score
Not to be "that guy" but my memory isn't what it used to be and probably has never been that good in spite of how many lumosity games i play. That being said, if Bob Weir can have his iPad on stage, whay can't I? I mean it isn't offensive to have some notes is it?
Grot... you guys do a great job and I agree it is good to have something for everyone!
Maybe I will play a stones tune with you some time......Tumbling Dice????? I have a very nice Bluesbird in open G!!!

TJNY

Reaction score
Stan,
I use my Ipad on stage. Don't really care what others think because it's only the musicians with the hang up about stands on stage anyway. They can do what they want on their gigs. I can do what I want on mine. Plus the pad is a much smaller footprint than a floor stand and binder. Ipad away, my good man!!

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Everybody in both my bands uses iPads on stage, in concert with Gigbook. I guess I'm old school, but I think they're far too dependent on them. I have a iPad too, but think it builds character not to use one. :)

TJNY

Reaction score
Like I said, musicians with their hang ups and their high standards!!!
;-)
Just joshing ya!

I use mine sparingly. But I use it. As i said, to each his own!

crank

Reaction score
I am in the anti iPad or binder camp. I played in a band with a song list the size of Grot's and as long as I had the set lists a day or so before the weekend's gig so I could brush up on any riffs or chord changes I may have forgotten it was fine. I also had cheat sheets for chord changes and song structure hand written on 3 x 5 cards for any songs I was worried about not remembering. I just set them on top of my amp in order and if I needed a glance or so it was easy and not so obvious.

TJNY

Reaction score
If I was playing for a living & gigging several times a week then yes, I would have most of that stuff down pat. I move around a lot during a performance. If I stood glued to a stand or at my Ipad that would be bad. I don't do that.

Last edited:

StanBlues

Reaction score
Grot
when are you jamming again?
hit me with a pm or whatever.....
maybe we can get a jam on soon...
rock on
d

StanBlues

Reaction score
I am ok with the iPad too...just my way of cutting loose.... I have two very demanding jobs and two kids (8 and 4) plus a wife....
I don't need to memorize everything to do something that is just fun for me...
i get that folks might be in different places as far as playing goes... and some people don't drink while they play either....lol
I guess what i am saying is that whatever gets your going is good by me.....
if i had the setlist a week in advance...well i guess i would either be ok or just not play it....lol
either way most of my jams are small local things where we aren't even sure who is going to show up .... or what is going to be played....
generally we don't have a setlist.... just play and jump in.....
there are merits to all sides..... i just try to have fun....
rock on!
d