1956 Guild X-500 for $12,500!?

mbuc

Reaction score
That certainly is an interesting price. Do the glorious golden age Guilds finally get the appreciation they deserve? Or is that guy used to selling Gibsons?

a.modernist

Reaction score
And worth every penny seeing as how this is one of "the rarest Guild's [sic] on Earth". Seriously though, an interesting and beautiful guitar well worth considering if it were half the asking price perhaps. Has there been any other documented use of that particular "D'Armond" (again the sellers language, not mine)? BTW, a friend recently suggested those particular pickups are Schallers not DeArmonds. I haven't seen any discussion regarding this here on the board, but I thought it interesting.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just make an offer with a note stating that the Vintage Guide gives a top price of $3200 and he should get a clue.

guildman63

Reaction score
Hey, it's Rob Ford! Must be as the dealer must be smoking crack. Very nice? No doubt! Rare? In that condition, probably. Although, I would argue that my 1956 CE-100 is in better condition. As for the Vintage Guide price of $3200, it is just that, a guide. I would even go as high as $4000. But wait! I have a new AP X-500 awaiting my pickup, and it cost me less than 40% of what this place is asking for this vintage guitar. Life is good! :smile-new:

Wilfred

Reaction score
Wow, in case I don't like the 1954 X-150 that's on its way - doubtful that THAT's gonna happen BTW - I now know I must be able sell it for about $15,000 ;-)

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Having become acquainted with and loving the sound of those particular pickups on my '60 Starfire......I'm very sure that guitar would suit me fine.
But certainly too rich for the likes of me.......its nice to look at anyway!

I'm surprised to see those pickups on a '56 (if the dating is correct), but perhaps I haven't done my homework.

Wilfred.....

I'll be very interested to hear about and see photos of that '54 X-150.
I love the very oldest Guilds.

z

Last edited:

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
That is a beauty, but wow - that asking price! I guess he's gotta buy gas for the Lamborghini in the back of the shop there!

shop1.JPG

Are those pickups a custom order? I would have expected Franz pickups in that year guitar.