Bisonic pickup by Curtis Novak

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for the link, frono.
They didn't get around to answering the question on the thread, though.
Noone seems to have recorded it or comment on how their CN Bisonic sounded.

gilded

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, frono.
They didn't get around to answering the question on the thread, though.
Noone seems to have recorded it or comment on how their CN Bisonic sounded.

You are right. No one has recorded it, including Curtis Novak, when I last checked. Money back guarantee, though.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
It's lookin like I'll have my very own BS-DS pickup in the mail tomorrow! Curtis has really been great to do business with. Even got the pickup on its way nice and quick for me so I could receive it and drop it in my bass before I go on tour in about a month. Killer customer service.
I'll get some demos up asap!

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Looking forward to your report, mellow one.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Initial impression after a day off with my newly Novasonic'd 1965 Guyatone EB-4 bass: LOVE it. Thank you Mr. Novak! The tone is spot on. My ears think I have my 1966 Starfire bass back...
In my experience, the original Hagstrom Bisonics always sounded a bit warmer and less aggressive than Hammon Dark Star pickups. As much as I do love Dark Stars, I prefer the mellower tones of the original Hagstroms a bit. I think the Novak pickup is closer to that original tone. With that said, it's important to note that Fred Hammon was never trying to make an exact replica, but more of an inspired-by sort of design, with some changes as he saw fit. Some people prefer Dark Stars to original Bisonics; of course it's all a matter of taste and, as long as we're talking about this family of pickups, it's all good taste in my book! But anyway, I thoroughly dig this Novak pickup. Two thumbs up. My housemate (sound engineer and recording guy) is supposedly going to be back in town tonight, so hopefully by tomorrow I'll be able to get a demo clip recorded and posted for y'all. Stay tuned!

gilded

Reaction score
mellow, if you like it, that's good enough for me.

Now all I have to do is get a bass that needs BiSonics again!

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Excellent news Ingo! Looking forward to to the sound clips.

I still want to do a tractor build, and at this point would definitely use one of Curtis' pickups in one.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
I can't hear it on my laptop, Ingo. :-(

I uploaded a new file that should be a bit louder. I changed the link above to take you to the new clip. Hope this helps! If not though, I'd recommend some headphones if you have them. I feel like most laptop speakers will struggle with a strictly-bass recording

Last edited:

Curtis Novak

Reaction score
Excellent news Ingo! Looking forward to to the sound clips.

I still want to do a tractor build, and at this point would definitely use one of Curtis' pickups in one.

Speaking of the Tractor Bass I recently shipped a Bisonic to the Fender custom shop for a custom build for the coming movie "Midnight Rider", I am sending off another to the movie production crew. I have also been contacted Berry Oakley's son to do one for Berry's original Sunburst Tractor that is missing the original Bisonic.

curtis

gilded

Reaction score
That's way cool, for Curtis, Berry's son and the Movie!

I wonder if the 'missing original bisonic' was put back into the SF II bass that Berry Oakley played with the Brothers before he switched to a Fender Jazz bass. No real reason to think that it happened that way, just idle speculation.

You know, I really, really enjoy the sound of the 'original '66 bisonic' in my SF I bass. In fact, I played my SF I bass through a '60's freshly restored Ampeg B18 at a friend's house a few days ago. It was a great combination, but I'd also like to hear Curtis' pickup, too. If it's good enough for Ingo (mellowgerman) it's good enough for me!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Speaking of the Tractor Bass I recently shipped a Bisonic to the Fender custom shop for a custom build for the coming movie "Midnight Rider", I am sending off another to the movie production crew. I have also been contacted Berry Oakley's son to do one for Berry's original Sunburst Tractor that is missing the original Bisonic.

curtis

Congratulations.

I am somewhat amused since if the movie is merely looking for visual similarity then Fender could have talked to subsidiary Guild and used the Newark Street pickup.

I remember things that did not happen but I think someone told a story on LTG several years ago about turning down an offer of $600 from Barry's son for an original Bisonic. I recall thinking that was 2x or 3x street value at the time.