early straight vs. harp shaped SF bridge

fretwear

Reaction score
Sorry if this question has already been worked over. Do the early version Starfire's intonate properly? I read that the G string can be a prob?

Thanks

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry if this question has already been worked over. Do the early version Starfire's intonate properly? I read that the G string can be a prob?

Thanks

I have a variation of that bridge on three different instruments and have no intonation problems. My complaints are two - a) the wooden saddles can slide from left to right which means that the adjustments can go out of whack if you don't pay attention while making them, or that a solid whack can push things out of place; and b) it is a pain to adjust with the screw for the slider right under the string.

That said my opinion may not count for much. My B50 is about 10 cents off on the E string and I can live with that since the alternative, according to several luthiers, is a new bridge.

P.S. - I don't think there is any functional difference among the bridges discussed, just cosmetics. The 90's reissue bridge is different with metal saddles mounted in the adjustment screw. However, that bridge does not use the same mounting hole spacing.

Last edited: