LTG Weather Report

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
While it might be of little interest to many, we weather junkies are always curious, and it's usually fun and perspective-building to check in on the weather across the world-wide span of LTG.
I can offer that the Pacific Northwest is unusually cold right now, thanks to the northeast flow funneled into the county by a specific geographical feature in British Columbia. Because of this Arctic flow, we're sitting on a wind chill of -10 right now.

I know that Bing will chime in on how fortunate we are not to be in Montana right now, and Dave and Pascal might talk about shorts and sandals, but what's it doing in your neighborhood? Share your weather with the rest of us.

Could have been a weatherman, :eagerness:
Joe

silverfox103

Reaction score
I live in NW Florida and we've had the AC on for 2 days now.

That hurts!

We had stretch of cold weather about a week ago, getting down to -2 degrees. For the past week it is relatively mild (for the northeast). It's 45 degrees now and bare ground. With all 3 of our kids moving to Atlanta over the past 10 years, the last one moved in August, I told my wife "I am not shoveling snow this winter, end of discussion." So we are going to St. Simons, GA for Jan, Feb and March. It's on the coast not very far from FL. It is within striking distance of Atlanta (about 4 hours) so we can visit, but we won't be in their back pockets.

If it works out, this will be a yearly occurrence. I don't want to see anymore -35 degree days.

Tom

Last edited:

griehund

Reaction score
Western Mass is unseasonably warm today 45 and rainy. Sunny and mid 30s over the weekend. One thing for certain is it will be unpredictable.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
44[SUP]0[/SUP] and light rain in southern CT. Just saw a Facebook entry from a friend, -28[SUP]0 [/SUP] C. (-18.5[SUP]0[/SUP] F.) in Calgary today. Might be where your cold weather is coming from, Joe.
Brad

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'd let y'all know but you already broke it down Joe.... hate to rub it in. :untroubled:

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
7F with 3" snow on the lawn when I went to work this AM. Expecting 4-6" more snow tomorrow.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Old Man Winter has given us a lovely welcome this week. Snowed both Tues. and Wed., leaving me with approx. 17" and the temp dipped down on Thurs. accompanied with a brisk wind. Had -14 F coming in to work this morning with a gentle breeze. -1 right now with -15 wind chill. We'll be hitting the -15 range the next few days with 5-10 mph winds.

I have snowblowed for at least 4-1/2 hrs. the last two nights and I have a couple hrs. left to do. Just north of Thunderface's home town, a weather spotter recorded 42" of snow for the two days and Duluth is well into the upper 20's.

One the plus side...well, it could be worse.

Have I mentioned how much I enjoy winter in Northern Minnesota?

:snowman:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It's crazy cold here! I mean, the high is only 55 today! An outrage!
You guys in the tropics are so spoiled. :glee:
Sub-30's 2 nights running here in SF Bay area, 40-year records broken.
Run-off from sprinklers last evening actually froze on the sidewalk, saw an unfortunate pratfall this AM. I don't think they even realized that ice can be dangerous...might not even have recognized it as ice...
Snow predicted down to 2500 feet tonight, normally, most likely months for snowfall are actually February or March...
The climes they are a-changin'?
(Don't answer that, it was a joke)

Last edited:

MLBob

Reaction score
29 degrees and 2" of snow. 25 miles south and we'd have a layer of ice under 5" of snow..

Hi, Doc,

Greetings from 25 miles south.
Good day to throw another log in the stove and play!
Supposed to see single digits every night for the next week. Methinks that might cut into my duck hunting :)

poser

Reaction score
Hi, Doc,

Greetings from 25 miles south.
Good day to throw another log in the stove and play!
Supposed to see single digits every night for the next week. Methinks that might cut into my duck hunting :)

To the north and east we fared a bit better. Maybe an inch of snow and no ice underneath. We may get a bit more tonight. Moved here from Rochester, NY almost 30 years ago. That was my idea of moving south. :congratulatory:

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm leading an Audubon Society field trip on Sunday, along the shoreline just south of the BC border, and 14 people have signed on to freeze their a**es off. Can't wait to see how many show up! :congratulatory:

Shiver me timbers,
Joe

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This is fun reading all the different conditions across the nation and elsewhere. It's 34 right now in Las Vegas at 1 am. It'll get down to 28 tonight. Last night it was 25. High in the low 40's. I have to turn the pool pump on to keep the pipes and pool from freezing. Tomorrow morning we've got snow predicted. Who freaking KNEW?? Not really that unusual for here. By Monday our high will be 39.

Wherever you are.... enjoy your weather!!! I'm filling both humidifiers DAY and NIGHT to keep up with the forced air heating!! Wears me out!!

A bottle of wine takes the chill off. :encouragement:

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It's so cold during the day that hummingbird feeders will freeze unless you take preventive measures. I hang a drop light next to the feeder and it works just fine.

pxbl.jpg

I bring the feeders inside at night and turn off the light. This Anna's Hummingbird was grabbing one more load before I pulled the feeder in and turned off the light.

Stay warm,
Joe

griehund

Reaction score
You guys in the tropics are so spoiled. :glee:
Sub-30's 2 nights running here in SF Bay area, 40-year records broken.
Run-off from sprinklers last evening actually froze on the sidewalk, saw an unfortunate pratfall this AM. I don't think they even realized that ice can be dangerous...might not even have recognized it as ice...
Snow predicted down to 2500 feet tonight, normally, most likely months for snowfall are actually February or March...
The climes they are a-changin'?
(Don't answer that, it was a joke)

How's that old saying go? "Coldest winter I've ever known was a summer in San Francisco"?:wink: