Flipped Bi-Sonic?

johnbiscuti

Reaction score
While doing my daily browse through Jamie's pr0n gallery, I noticed that there are a few examples of folks with neck-pickup Starfire I basses flipping the Bi-Sonic to move the pole pieces closer to the "sweet spot". Before I go and try this on my own bass, can anyone who has tried it comment? Was the tonal difference audible enough to make this worthwhile?

fretwear

Reaction score
++ Hey hey, great observation, I like the tone of the flipped pup

Mungi

Reaction score
Not much difference between the flipped and the unflipped, but if I had to chose I would pick the unflipped.

wisconsindead

Reaction score
Cat Popper has been rocking the flipped neck bi sonic pup. Good shot of it at 2:27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGSNda0FIBA

Though with her tone pot likely near zero and a foam mute, I couldn't tell. I'd be interested to hear how she sounds live.

Either way its a beauty of a burst, almost as nice as mine :encouragement:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
the foam mute surafced a couple months ago. I asked her about it recently and she said "It's from a session, I keep forgetting to take it out."

Have to say I never realized the pickup was upside down, which is fascinating. Looks like it has been that way a long time, and she likley got it that way. It sounds incredible live! This summer she played some big festivals with the Starfire and played it super loud out of the full stack.

wisconsindead

Reaction score
Oh thats neat you're friends with her. Its a really nice burst, a lot that I've seen have too much black. Have you seen puss n boots? I like a couple of their songs, I'd like to play in in a band like that, simple songs and great vocals.

I was looking at my pickups tonight thinking about that and I think you'll maybe get a cm from flipping the pickups. Its actually surprising you can hear that slight difference in johns clips.

Last edited:

edwin

Reaction score
Nice to see Jamie! He used to live here in Boulder, before Dirty Dozen scooped him up. Coincidentally, I now live in a house that abuts the back yard of his old house where he lived with his brother, Carter, and his band One Flight Up. We had a number of great jams together. I might have some tapes somewhere….

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Cat Popper has been rocking the flipped neck bi sonic pup. Good shot of it at 2:27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGSNda0FIBA

Though with her tone pot likely near zero and a foam mute, I couldn't tell. I'd be interested to hear how she sounds live.

Either way its a beauty of a burst, almost as nice as mine :encouragement:

she never realized the Bisonic was upside down until I asked her about it here in 2015. She got it that way. Good eye! pretty sure she just never had seen another to compare it to, or even thought to look.

Last edited:

wisconsindead

Reaction score
Does this mean in some odd way I've been in contact with Cat Popper? Sweeeettt... Next time you see her tell those girls to make it to the midwest! I'd love to go see them.