New limited run Guild GSR M-85 II bass

ukulelelab

Reaction score
m85 gsr 2

If I hadn't put all my eggs into a 66 fender precision basket I would be all over this:
http://www.elderly.com/fmic/names/guild-and-reg;-gsr-series-m-85-ii-bass-with-case--GSRM852.htm

GSRM852_front.jpg

Reaction score
It's interesting how it has the 3 line chesterfield like the Newark Street models and unlike most of the GSR I have seen. Another fine product of the USA?
Thanks John

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What's going on with that bridge over the pickup?
It looks strange...I don't like this too much, I don't understand why they could have changed the bridge to fit better on such a limited number series. I can't imagine the added cost is big for doing the 20 something bridges correctly.
Ralf

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would think it's not the bridge shape/design but the pick-up placement.

I've seen this before;

rt124.jpg

It does make it hard to lower the bridge!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would think it's not the bridge shape/design but the pick-up placement.
I've seen this before!
Thanks Kurt for posting that reference to a vintage model with the same "issue". Interesting to see. Nevertheless the look is odd, and I think Guild could have taken the extra effort to "correct" this in the GSR model by reshaping the bridge. A bit of cutting and extra chrome plating of the bridge base plate is not an issue of cost I think.
Ralf

Reaction score
I had a '68 M-85 ll and it had that harp overlapping on the Hag, which I always thought rather curious. Inalso had a 74 M-85 II solidbody that had the harp but did not overlap on the buckers. I DS'd the '74 and with the plastic surrounds it came close but still cleared the harp. So this new special run is not doing anything different than the original release from what I can tell.

MARICOPAA

Reaction score
I've been looking at this bass since it entered the picture. Does it concern anyone that this is a kind of Frankenstein M-85? The body is not like a 60's first generation M-85II...not as thick...not the right shape...neck & bridge pickups in a different positions than a 60's version...toggle switch is a 70's M-85II thing. No 'master Volume' which I think is a great tool if you know how to use it. Body shape just seems somehow wrong.

Has sort of felt like over the years that the 60's M-85's and 70's M-85's are two entirely different animals that happen to share the same moniker. This new GSR bass is like a 70's M-85II (2nd gen) that has "Guild Bi-sonics" (geez) installed...pickups that is...interesting beast. ;-))

PS...also something about the body construction...not like either of it's predecessors. Not solid (70's)...not semi-hollow (60's) but ???

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've been looking at this bass since it entered the picture. Does it concern anyone that this is a kind of Frankenstein M-85? The body is not like a 60's first generation M-85II...not as thick...not the right shape...neck & bridge pickups in a different positions than a 60's version...toggle switch is a 70's M-85II thing. No 'master Volume' which I think is a great tool if you know how to use it. Body shape just seems somehow wrong.

Has sort of felt like over the years that the 60's M-85's and 70's M-85's are two entirely different animals that happen to share the same moniker. This new GSR bass is like a 70's M-85II (2nd gen) that has "Guild Bi-sonics" (geez) installed...pickups that is...interesting beast. ;-))

PS...also something about the body construction...not like either of it's predecessors. Not solid (70's)...not semi-hollow (60's) but ???

Precedent was set with the GSR SF basses with bodies that differ from vintage instruments just as soon as you finish saying "double cutaway".

The 1970 "hollow" M85 II pictured in Hans' book does have a PU toggle switch, "suck" pushbutton switch and a master volume.

I can find many solid examples pictured online that have the same features although not in the same place. But not every M85 bass.

It is much harder to make sweeping generalizations about M85 features compared to Starfires so for almost any feature on the GSR M85 you could probably find a vintage instrument that lacked the feature.

I note that the Orpheum series is inspired by a fantasy - it is the slope shouldered dred that people imagine Guild would have made in the '30's if Guild had existed then and the Newark Street models are explicitly described as inspired by vintage instruments rather than a modern attempt to make the best copy possible. So I suspect the Frankenstein like mix of features was either deliberate or no one really cared.

And anyone who has heard mgod's story about Sheryl Crow is going to know the vintage solid and vintage hollow M85s are different beasts.

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
I've been looking at this bass since it entered the picture. Does it concern anyone that this is a kind of Frankenstein M-85? The body is not like a 60's first generation M-85II...not as thick...

I hadn't noticed that. I wonder if that would make it easier to play than the originals?

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I wonder if that would make it easier to play than the originals?

I played a gig where I played my three M-85s, a different one for each set in the order as shown below.

M-85s.jpg

I had never played them out before and especially standing up. The thick "semi-solid" versions are definitely not as comfortable as the thin solid body model. So I would answer "yes" to your question.

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Thanks GoG. It's beyond most of us to make such a comparison report. That's awesome!

For what it is worth, I own one of the "fatties", which I guess was one of the last Bisonic M-85s.* At first I was put off by the "band box" design. I mean, you cannot really lazily drape your right arm over the edge of the bass... But I came to realize that it enforced me to use better technique with my right hand. Seriously, it carries over to when I play one of my "flat" basses.

However my left hand technique is still useable for a "don't do this" section of an instructional video.

*(I bought it because I found a Starfire to be unwieldy for a little guy and, to my ego-driven obsession with on-stage appearance, the Starfire dwarfs my diminutive frame.)

Reaction score
Great guitar.

Does anyone know if the M85 is going to be available in the UK ? . . . and if so which dealers are likely to have it ?

Thanks

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great guitar.

Does anyone know if the M85 is going to be available in the UK ? . . . and if so which dealers are likely to have it ?

Thanks

My American dealer said there was one per sales territory. Based on that I would try either contact the larger Guild dealers in the UK or just contact Fender and ask them.

Welcome, by the way.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Does anyone know if the M85 is going to be available in the UK ? . . . and if so which dealers are likely to have it?
Welcome to LTG! No idea who in Europe might have received one. Give a call to Andertons for instance they might be able to ask FMIC/Guild. http://www.andertons.co.uk/
Or as frono proposed, contact FMIC (as they distribute Guild in Europe):
FENDER MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS GBI
LEO HOUSE
BIRCHES INDUSTRIAL ESTATE
EAST GRINSTEAD
WEST SUSSEX
RH19 1QZ
UNITED KINGDOM
Phone: 01342 331700
Email: UKQueries@fender.com

Ralf

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome . . . .

I did manage to get one of the M85 GSR's here UK and its great ! . . . .

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I did manage to get one of the M85 GSR's here UK and its great ! . . . .
Congratulations! I think now you need to post a few pictures ! We love pictures! (Host them somewhere else and post a link to the *.jpg picture.)
Ralf

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That looks just like mine. Chris Fleming gave it to me about 4 years ago and suggested I not speak of it. But it looks safe now.

which pickups are in yours? also is it the full hollow 2-inch deep hollow body? thanks for any info!