Family Photo

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I recall the last time this came up posting a pic of Phil's 65-66 SF2 that had the bridge pickup in the sweet spot.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

ukulelelab

Reaction score
Here is my small and happy family of two

DSC00921.jpg

ukulelelab

Reaction score
Jetstars introduced in 1964 with that headstock and bisonic pickup combination are really scarce. Sean Lennon has one. mgod has a rare transitional model from 1966 with a bisonic pickup and the 4 in line headstock (left on the picture below). 1966 and onwards Jetstars have another pickup with the 4 in line headstock (just like the Peter Tork bass).
67896_10151237805446586_615896378_n.jpg

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
i guess that picture of Phil is from August 67, so there is a chance my body was cut up around the same time as his, or at least in the same fashion. His does not have the suck switch. He had the bass before it really went into true production.

If you ever see a suck switch on a bass with serial less than BA-1472 (part way through 1967) let me know.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Greenie measures exactly 27" from the bottom of the nut to the leading edge of the riser for the bridge pup. It does appear the the bridge pup is a bit closer to the bridge than Eric's bass

it is very close and we are talking about centimeters. I have been the one from the start questioning how different it could possibly sound anyway, although they sure do look different. but im sorry to report we accomplish nothing as far as measurements until the 2 basses are next to each other in the same room with the same tape measure being measured by the same person. to be continued indeed.

its just too close/too small of a variation we are talking about. ill change my initial assessment (from the other thread) of 1/4-1/2 inch variation to 1/4 inch tops for the most extreme examples. maybe 1/8-1/4 inch variation. Again, a centimeter or 2 on the pick up, and the same for the F-hole and knobs sure can create an optical illusion. Or they just took some sweet spot basses and made them SF2s. or there is a smaller bridge we didnt know about or the bridge is just further back. Again I question what any of this would amount to, that would make more of a difference than playing style, string gauge, string tension, maple vs mahogany, the kind of amp and wattage, speaker type, or any other slight variation that can be attributed to someones particular tone. i think the sweet spot SF1 sounds different than the bridge pickup on any SF2 because the neck pickup on a SF2 is still "picking up" part of that string signal even if you have it turned off. im sure they sound real close to each other though.

There is also the chance my bass/Phils were just made that way as SF2s...not from a sweet spot, then they just moved that location back a little.