Humbuckers: Vintage vs. Westerly

johnbiscuti

Reaction score
As I understand it, the 70's humbuckers were wound insanely hot -- around 30k or so? Are the pickups from the Westerly reissues wound similarly hot?

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Actually, those are Westerly humbuckers. They had some in storage and decided to use them on the GSR SF basses.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
the 90s bass has a different guild Humbucker pickup than the 70s. Similar but different. 90s Perhaps not quite as hot, like u say, or not as strong of a signal as the 70s. But still fantastic and similar sounding. I am a fan of both. Probably more so than even the Bisonic, as far as me personally playing the instrument. That would put me in the minority. The 90s bass has a thinner body and no "deep hard" switch. And a different bridge/saddles. (Not rosewood) and different (but similar) tuners. The 70s Humbucker really shakes the house on the solid body JS bass. The 70s and 90s Starfire basses overall are very similar, but the 90s tone is more "contained" in my opinion. 70s is full blast bucker

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
They are westerly but the 90s ones were made in the 90s, was my understanding. Not sure if the GSR basses have 90s or 70s humbuckers. I have a 90s Starfire bass I don't think they are the same pickups as a 70s. IIRC Hans did not think so either.

johnbiscuti

Reaction score
Thanks! I have a '73 Starfire here and it is definitely BIG sounding. What I was really looking for out of it was the Justin Meldal-Johnsen "Paper Tiger" tone, which falls somewhere in-between the tone from the neck pickups of my '73 and my '67: the Westerly Reissue seems to be more mellow than the '73, and a little darker and sweeter than the '67.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Curtis Novak makes a reissue bass humbucker, if you just want to swap the pickups and keep your 73. He also makes a reissue Bisonic but he can probably make either one sound how you want it to sound. if you go that route, it may be easier/of more value later, to sell the package with what at least looks like his Bisonics to the eye...and be sure to hang onto the original Humbuckers. Also Curtis can maybe mod your stock Humbuckers, not sure about that. You can do alot with the 70s bucker though, in my opinion, if you play with the amp. At some point I suppose though, If you are performing live and really loud, it could be limiting. Also you are welcome to check out my 98 sometime, if you are that curious. the biggest difference is the depth of the body, about a quarter inch:

gfgs.jpg

And the pickup is a little more contained like I said. the same tone, but tighter on the 98, than the 70s. just shoot me a message if you want to check it out.