Bent Tuning Peg on T-100d

docmarshall

Reaction score
Oh, boy.

My newly purchased 1967 T-100d has a bent tuning peg. I don't know how this happened, but I did leave the guitar in a recording studio overnight after a session and noticed it today while laying tracks. It was in its case, but who knows...

I'm mortified and don't how to address this. The tuner still works, but I don't like the way it's sitting and I wouldn't feel comfortable touring with it without a backup.

Should I have a luthier try to bend it back? I don't see very many vintage tuners for t-100d online. I wonder how difficult it would be to find a replacement.

Any info would be appreciated. Tried to post a photo but don't see the option...

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
For a couple of reasons, you have to host at Imageshack or Photobucket and post it with the image button.

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
I've found perfect replacement tuners for almost every era and model.

As far as photo sharing goes, flickr is my favorite.

docmarshall

Reaction score
Which tuners are on the guitar? The trapezoidal covered individual Japanese tuners like in this picture? Or are they open tuners like those Japanese tuners?
Ralf

Hi - I think they're the second ones. Here are two photos. Do you think a replacement would be hard to find? It's the A string peg.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
O.k., in any case they are very difficult to find, sometimes they show up on ebay when one sells a parted out guitar and the parts.
You could also send a message to Hans Moust in the Netherlands (who wrote The Guild Guitar Book) via his webpage and ask him if he might have a spare one to sell.
Ralf

docmarshall

Reaction score
O.k., in any case they are very difficult to find, sometimes they show up on ebay when one sells a parted out guitar and the parts.
You could also send a message to Hans Moust in the Netherlands (who wrote The Guild Guitar Book) via his webpage and ask him if he might have a spare one to sell.
Ralf

Thanks, Ralf. In the event I can't find an exact replacement, can it be fixed? Or should I replace one or all of the tuners with modern equivalents? I hate to destroy any vintage attributes, but I intend to play this guitar!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bending might be tricky. Sometimes they just break I could imagine. Let's see what Hans might tell you, after all he is the Guild expert.
Ralf

docmarshall

Reaction score
I was able to find a set of suitable replacements on eBay (I only replaced the bent tuner for the low A string). The color is just a hair darker, but it is an extremely close fit. I just made the repair myself as shown below. I'm not a luthier so have mercy, but I think this is an acceptable job. The paint is slightly chipped (or perhaps the tuner isn't 100% perfectly aligned, but it works much, much better than the previous one! Quite honestly, these aren't the world's greatest tuners to begin with, so someday I may swap them out. Now I also have 5 extras in case another breaks.

I contacted Hans and he couldn't have been nicer about offering to look for a replacement. However, I've been hard at work in a studio and simply couldn't wait!

Last edited:

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Great job Doc! It seems to me that tuning machines are the easiest replacement parts to find. This is just a hypothesis, but it's possible that this might have something to do with the crazy trend for a long time where everyone "upgraded" their old tuners to grovers. That might explain why there are a lot of non-grovers kicking around in drawers everywhere.