Introduction and Hello to All

Pine Apple Slim

Reaction score
Found this forum while researching my newest purchase, a Newark St Starfire. I'm mainly an upright player but occasionally play slab. My only slab for the last few yrs has been an SX P/J. Got the fever for a short scale hollw or semi and once I played the Starfire at the Fret Shop in Huntsville, I had to have it. I think its a really nice bass and am very happy with it. Soon I will change the stock strings to flats, will probably go with Labella DT 43-104, same as my SX because I really like the feel and tone of those.
Heres the Starfire
star1_zps37123003.jpg

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey PAS!! Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the new bass and your first post, with a PHOTO no less!! Good job! Enjoy your time here.....

Pine Apple Slim

Reaction score
Thanks all for the warm welcome.
I'm not totally new to Guild. Many of my friends over the years have owned and played Guild acoustics (Westerly or earlier) and they are very fine sounding and well made all around acoustic guitars. I havn't had much experience with em since Fender took over, or the GAD line.
I've owned a couple of Westerly made Guild acoustic-electric basses in the past, before I got my upright and they were great as well.
B50, I think? The giant one. The tone and quality of that one was impeccable. I just couldn't play it without my arm going to sleep reaching around the thing. And still not really feasible as an acoustic only, despite the size.
So I traded it in for a B4E. The narrow bodied short scale one. It was a fun and very sweet bass as well. When I got my upright I sold it, but should not have. I still miss it.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Welcome to LTG, Slim.

Ah, The Fret Shop. Many years ago, I lived in Huntsville and The Fret Shop was a favorite. I bought a red F-65 from them in about 1989. Long-time Guild dealer.

Last edited:

gilded

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Slim. Lots of love for the StarFire basses of all eras here at LTG.

I have a fairly early '66 that I use Thomastik Jazz Flats on. I like them a lot better than Chromes or a couple of ragged-out round wound sets that I've heard on various SF basses, but I have never tried laBella bass strings, so who knows, the may be the best of all!

See you in the bass section, Harry

Pine Apple Slim

Reaction score
gilded:
Is the TI short/med 43-106 set long enough for the Starfire?
I'd hate to spend that much and they not fit. The long scale has a 100 low E which seems too light.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
B50, I think? The giant one. The tone and quality of that one was impeccable. I just couldn't play it without my arm going to sleep reaching around the thing. And still not really feasible as an acoustic only, despite the size.
So I traded it in for a B4E. The narrow bodied short scale one. It was a fun and very sweet bass as well. When I got my upright I sold it, but should not have. I still miss it.

My B50 is heavily in the rotation since I am playing it in an acoustic guitar quartet at the moment. My arm keeps going asleep as well. Solution one is to stand and use a strap. Solution two is to find a seated position where the bass is tilted (top at a 45 degree angle to the floor as opposed to a 90 degree angle) and then position my arm around the waist.

PM me about a B4 :)