String suggestions for a B4E acoustic bass

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Can't help. I'm using what was on mine when I bought it. I think they are someone's phosphor bronze but beyond that, no idea.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hi I would like some string suggestions for a B4E acoustic bass thanks.
I'd definitely suggest checking out D'Addario:
http://www.daddario.com/DADProductsBass.Page?ActiveID=1905
For sure they were Guild's OEM at that time for their 6-string Guild-labelled sets, so it seems likely they provided the bass strings as well.
In fact, Guild hired 'em back after using a Fender-owned brand for a while, and they also provide the strings for the current New Hartford built acoustic basses (34" scale):
http://www.guildguitars.com/instruments/details/?partno=3851806801#simpleContained4

Reaction score
I am using Rotosound Black Tapes on my B4-CE. I should mention mine is a fretless and it sounds just right. However with frets those strings might be a bit clicky because of the sensitive acoustics on these particular basses.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Last edited:

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Guild offers again a few Guild branded bass string sets:

Standard Tension L-900 Phosphor Bronze Bass 45-100: http://www.guildguitars.com/accessories/strings/details/?partno=3500900405
Standard Tension Coated L-900C Phosphor Bronze Bass 45-100: http://www.guildguitars.com/accessories/strings/details/?partno=3500300415
Balanced Tension L-905 Phosphor Bronze Bass 45-110: http://www.guildguitars.com/accessories/strings/details/?partno=3500355405

Ralf

I will gladly give Ralf yet another chance to find something that I cannot, and therefore mention that I cannot find the scale length of the Guild bass strings. If they are targeting the currently in production B-54 then it should be 34" but the B4, B30, B50 and a couple of the other more obscure acoustic basses in the Guild line up were all 30.5" scale length. While you can make long scale strings fit on a short scale bass that has never been a recommended practice.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I cannot find the scale length of the Guild bass strings.
Oh! I didn't know about the scale length difference. Might the following two pictures help?

6838611_800.jpg
6838466_800.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Actually one more thing is confusing to me, I found two different L-900 versions now, one .040 and the other .045!
The typical Guild inconsistency continues...Sounds like they already changed specs.

308877351_L.jpg
guild-acoustic-bass-guitar-phosphor-bronze-045-100-l-900-10.gif

While you can make long scale strings fit on a short scale bass that has never been a recommended practice.
Why is that? I don't understand this, no wonder, I am not a bass player. From the look I would assume you just cut those extra length of string?

b54ce2.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
these MIGHT be what you are looking for:

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductD...hosphor_Bronze_Acoustic__Short_Scale__45_100_

Make sure they are not too short before you buy them. I do not know anything about these instruments and the bridge and such.

For electric basses, D'addario has long, medium and short. the short is too short for Guilds so the Starfire and JS need the medium (that short fits a Gibson and Hofner Beatles bass). but for acoustic, they seem to only have long and short, no medium. but those instruments are completely different. call D'addario and ask them.

also not to leave out any info, for electric basses, the popular TI flat short scale string is the same length as the medium scale D'addario string. Again, the D'addario Short scale ELECTRIC string fits very few basses. The acoustic short scale may be just what you need. Let us know if you find out!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

Right now I'm not convinced that the D'Addario and Guild Phosphor Bronze - Long Scale sets that you can buy today will work on a B4-E.
The tension will be much lower on a short scale instrument; pretty much like tuning down a whole step on a regular long scale instrument.
While that in itself would be possible on some basses, I would not advise that on an acoustic/electric like the B4-E. Short scale basses really need that tension to get the low notes out clearly and the lack of tension might introduce 'string rattle' as well.

I would think that a call to the customer relations dept. at Fender or D'Addario might be in order.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Actually one more thing is confusing to me, I found two different L-900 versions now, one .040 and the other .045!
The typical Guild inconsistency continues...Sounds like they already changed specs.

308877351_L.jpg
guild-acoustic-bass-guitar-phosphor-bronze-045-100-l-900-10.gif

Why is that? I don't understand this, no wonder, I am not a bass player. From the look I would assume you just cut those extra length of string?

b54ce2.jpg

Ralf
Ralf- not sure if Guild "changed specs" or just offers 2 different options for the string gauge. I prefer the lighter gauge bass strings, but someone with the same bass may prefer heavier gauge.

Also short scale bass strings are different tension than long scale. A long scale string on a short scale bass can seem floppy and loose, depending on the setup. Some people though, just as you said- simply cut long scale strings and use them on a Starfire bass. We all play differently so whatever works, as long as it sounds and feels good. I don't play long scale bass and I don't use long scale bass strings on a short scale bass.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
A

b54ce2.jpg

Ralf

Ralf, bass strings have tapered ends. If you look closely in the photo above notice the E string. If you tried to cut this for a short scale you couldn't get the full diameter string into the tuner hole and it would be difficult to wind a string of that size around the tuner post.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks Hans and Kurt and mavuser for those explanations! Again something new learned here. Great!

not sure if Guild "changed specs" or just offers 2 different options for the string gauge.
I think in that case the number would be different, but both are called L-900! Since one can't trust the info on the Guild webpage it's really tricky...
Ralf

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Ralf got good answers. The only thing not mentioned is that if you have a wound string and cut it then the winding will unravel which is a mechanical problem.

For the visitor from the future, it should be reiterated that the terms long, medium and short scale do not have universally agreed upon definitions in the bass world. long is usually 34". medium is sometimes 32" and short can be as small as 30". But Guilds are typically called "short scale" but are actually spec'ed at 30.5" which means a 30" short scale string will not work. Hofners are one bass in production, also called "short scale" that have a shorter scale length than the 30.5" Guilds.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The only thing not mentioned is that if you have a wound string and cut it then the winding will unravel which is a mechanical problem.
I'm confused with this statement. You don't cut wound strings? Please explain further because as I see it you have to cut them to get the correct number of winds on the post after sticking the end in the tuner hole. (I'm talking basses here.)

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
But Guilds are typically called "short scale" but are actually spec'ed at 30.5" which means a 30" short scale string will not work. Hofners are one bass in production, also called "short scale" that have a shorter scale length than the 30.5" Guilds.

The scale length and string length are 2 somewhat different things. 30.5 inches is a short scale bass. Nothing non-short scale about it. The Hofmer is 30" and a few Gibsons are 30."

but most Gibsons are 30.5", and take the D'addario short scale string.
A Fender mustang bass is 30", yet still requires the D'addario medium scale string.

it is more about the setup, the bridge/string configuration and if the headstock is 2 per side or 4 in line.

we have veered now, but the subject is confusing and had been discussed in too many other places previously. Curious now about the acoustic D'addarios. Also never realized the B4E is short scale. Good to know.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

Right now I'm not convinced that the D'Addario and Guild Phosphor Bronze - Long Scale sets that you can buy today will work on a B4-E.
Right. When I recommended D'Addario directly, it was right after mjac28's first post when it was still undetermined which scale length he had. (Recall, initially he thought he had a long scale)
I mentioned that Guild used D'Addarios just reassure him that they still made a string that was acceptable to Guild currently, but noted that the current bass was a 34" scale to draw attention to that possible "issue".
Your comments about string tension and others' comments about taper in the winding were just the kinds of things I didn't know for sure but suspected could be " hidden issues", after all the surprises I've seen in the last few years. (I had heard about the unravelling winding problem)
I note Mavuser says they still make a shortscale acoustic set :

In fact it says right on the specs "Fits short scale basses with a scale length of up to 32"
"wink"

"D'Addario fan Al"

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I think in that case the number would be different, but both are called L-900! .
Don't forget they did the same thing with the L350 sets, changed the "G" from .025 to .024 but didn't change the model number of the string set.
Remember: "Specs subject to change without notice"
We shouldn't pick on 'em though or else they might decide to pull out of the string market altogether, again.
(insert Laughing emoticon here)

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm confused with this statement. You don't cut wound strings? Please explain further because as I see it you have to cut them to get the correct number of winds on the post after sticking the end in the tuner hole. (I'm talking basses here.)

When you take a long scale string and try and make it fit on a short scale bass I have seen some folks who cut the string to the proper length and, as a result, cut in the wound part of the string and not the thread wrapped taper. I have also seen a flat wound string that was two long, have the wound part actually in the tuning peg and the break angle at the peg cause the flat winding to separate and break. OK or am I still confusing?