First Thread need help identifying ny Guild Acoustic Bass

mjac28

Reaction score
Hi I would love some information on my bass I can't seem to find my serial anywhere and now I'm starting to think it's a fake the serial is LD000286 I thought all of the B4E series were all short scale this bass is long scale? I would appreciate any help thanks.

mjac28

Reaction score
Acoustic bass Serial

Hi I can't seem to find my serial anywhere LD000286 it's an acoustic bass thanks for any help.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome.

Pictures would help. Short answer is host the pictures at another site and link to them here.

The last B4 serial in 1993 was LD bunch of zeros 271. Sometime later the serial prefix changed to AB. Knowing what we know about Guild serial numbers, as well as the unreliability of various listings, I'd hazard a guess that you have an instrument that was given a serial number in late 1993 or early 1994.

Never seen a counterfeit Guild acoustic bass although that doesn't mean much.

I am reasonably certain all B4's were short scale but I am certainly open to evidence to the contrary. There were times in the past when Guild made short and long scale versions of the same bass. Fret count might help determine that, although the best way to measure scale length is to measure the distance between the nut and the 12th fret and double the measurement. If you get 31" or less then I'd say you have a short scale.

For reference:

b4ce_bass_front_b2.jpg

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hi I can't seem to find my serial anywhere LD000286 it's an acoustic bass thanks for any help.
Frono is one of our resident "bassmeisters" but we also have a member, Hans Moust, who literally "wrote the book" about Guilds.
If he sees this he's sure to post, otherwise, if you send him the serial number through the forum's private messaging system he'd probably be abe to confirm the date very closely if not exactly. He may also know if it was "born" as a longscale as a "one off", or he my be interested in more details about your instrument if it's unusual, as he also keeps a database of Guilds.
Don't worry about not finding your serial number, that's not uncommon especially around the times of model changes or end of run. There're even some years that're just flat out not posted anywhere, not even on Guild's site.
Welcome aboard!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

New member mjac28 did send me the questions through my website at about the same time that he posted them here.
He already got the answers before the members here started posting.
Just in case you're interested in what he has, it's a B4-CE-NT from 1993; regular short scale with a satin finish.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl