The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a Joke

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That the R & R Hall of Fame is a messed up organization, I have no argument. However, I do find fault with the article. Saying someone like Laura Nyro should not be eligible? Really? And many others he singled out. The Hollies, The Young Rascals, Heart? I think they're good there. I've heard horror stories (Joni Mitchell wrote a song about it) of the induction process and what a creepy organization it is. But this guy just isn't making his point very well. In my opinion....

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, I didn't say I agree with everything in the article Tom. ;)

You can make a good case for all the artists you mention, but a lot of those doo-wop bands and Percy Sledge? Really? Then when I saw that Link Wray didn't make the cut by a long ways again this year (he should have been in there long ago IMO), I smell something funny.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I visited the RnRHoF for the first time a couple of weeks ago - spent a pleasant Saturday afternoon there. I'd go back, too, to spend an entire day. The 4 hours I had felt too rushed.

Yes, I geeked out on Guild guitar spotting, and skimmed a lot, but after that visit, I have to agree with Keppler's fundamental point: The reasons for making the RnRHoF are not obvious, and some very important artists have been ignored.

Gram Parsons, anybody?

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
some very important artists have been ignored.

Gram Parsons, anybody?

Remarkably, Gram isn't in the Country Music Hall of Fame either, while his protégée Emmylou Harris has been there since 2008. I agree that he should be in both of them.

guildman63

Reaction score
The RnRHOF never seemed to me to have any consistent guidelines for who qualified to be inducted. The Zombies, LL Cool J and Chic? While each of those artists have had their moments where are the consistent bodies of work over many years? I just don't get this organization, and to me it is irrelevant, which is a shame as it could be something great if managed properly.

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Sandy, Tom, I believe you both have nailed a significant issue regarding the glorification / deification of music artists; that being 'What standards are used to declare {our vote here} to be "worthy" of this stature?'

From the article http://blogs.ocweekly.com/heardmentality/2013/11/rock_and_roll_hall_of_fame_is_a_joke.php:

"Nick Keppler: Whatever illuminati votes on inductees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is undergoing its deliberations for the class of 2014. The process apparently includes much backstage lobbying, as induction can lead to a real spike in sales of back catalogs and "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee" looks good on the obituaries some of these people are no doubt expecting to be written soon. But the fact is, entry into the Rock Hall is the most worthless music honor this side of a Grammy Award."

At this point, I am cynical enough to agree with the author.

"Nick Keppler: And what else is there to do if you're visiting family in Cleveland?"

Having lived there for a decade, it requires no cynicism to agree with him on this point.

"Nick Keppler:...Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee has been watered down. It's way too easy to get in..."

What's to argue?

Why not start our own LTG Hall of Fame? Or perhaps host two separate lists: one being restricted to "Guild Artists" and the other being this forum's user base take on who (as in, which artist or band) has been the most influential on (what we call) popular music? It may be important to first define the standards for inducting a musical influence, then set up a popular vote and see what happens.

Or continue to rely on someone else deciding for us who is worthy and who is not. It is just a thought.

Just_Guild

Reaction score
My opinion has been and continues to be, that nothing kills something like creating a "hall of Fame" around it. Ok, I can hear the rustlings of football and baseball fans getting out the torches and pitchforks. So take this comment with a vision of my tongue firmly in cheek. I've been to the rock and roll hall of fame and was not impressed. Hey, that's me. Building a museum around a bunch of artifacts representing a musical and cultural revolution just didn't do it for me. Others may have a different opinion. And as a city destination, Cleveland does not rock.

Bobo

Reaction score
Guild Total
I agree with some of the points made in the article, but I disagree with his proposed criteria: "And to prevent a future build-up of nostalgia acts, the Hall should institute a new rule: Just as a performer is eligible 25 years after their first release, they are ineligible if not inducted 10 years after that."

Sorry, but that would rule out countless artists whose influence began to gain ground long after they put out their records. I believe that the number of records sold or the number of chart hits shouldn't count as much as the influence that the artist had on other artists in their era... AND on artists who followed.

That Link Wray isn't in the RRHOF is a absolute travesty. How many guitarists did he influence? My God.

The writer derides the fact that the Moonglows and the Dells are in, but he doesn't realize HOW MUCH influence they had on R&B vocal groups who came after them. The same for Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers. The Teenagers were virtually the first all-teen group making rock 'n' roll records FOR teens, for their peer group. And Lymon had immeasurable influence on Ronnie Spector and many other singers of the '60s.

Another point: artists who were huge in their day (Jack Scott, Gary U.S. Bonds) -- and now again influencing younger artists who play in the early rock 'n' roll style -- shouldn't be ruled out from making the RRHOF in the future, just because their popularity took a plunge during the Led Zeppelin and disco eras. Scott influenced many Michigan rockers (and current rockabilly artists) and Bonds was a major influence on Springsteen, for example.

Last edited by a moderator:

spiderman

Reaction score
I'm not really up on R&R, since the 50s, I was a teenager then. Yes there is a lot of politicking that goes on in any industry related project. I don't really care who is in, as there are always perverse peculiarities involved. A prime example is Linda Ronstadt's exclusion, and that it took so damn long for Emmylou to get in the Country version.

Harmony H-173 bought in 1960 (retired), Alvarez AC60S 2008, Eastman AC320ce 2009 "Hybrid", Guild D25M 1974 (all mahogany, archback), Martin Grand J35E 2009, Martin D12-20 1970, Martin OM-21 2009, Martin 00-15M Custom (full body gloss, wide neck) 2011, Martin 00-15M Custom (12 fret, wide neck, solid peghead) 2012, Voyage-air VAOM-06 2010
"One chord is plenty, two and you're pushing it, three is jazz"
Lou Reed

Alan_M

Reaction score
The exclusion or profound delays of certain artists (Link Wray and Rush as examples) in my opinion, completely discredits the governing body of the RnRHoF. However, those included, while some can be argued, should not be diminished by their inclusion. I have no interest in visiting the actual HoF. I'm not enticed by places like the Hard Rock Cafe either. Some of the "stuff" is neat, but I much prefer to listen to the music.