What do you guys do about the strap button?

johnbiscuti

Reaction score
My '67 Starfire has been a blast to play out with, but one major issue has been the bridge-end strap button. Whenever I move the bass out of a hanging position, the button falls right out. I've learned not to do this, but it takes a bit of the fun away from some of the more raucous gigs. What's the point of playing live is I can't do silly rockstar poses? :)

So, what do I have to do to get a normal, sturdy strap button in there? Fill it with epoxy and drill? How have you guys solved this?

The bass is really beat up and has already been re-fretted and had new tuners drilled in so I'm not too concerned about non-reversible (albeit minor) mods.

BTW, this is what I mean. Yes, I'm a ham. :)

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
I yanked the damn thing out of my JS-II and tapped in a mixture of dowelling shavings and glue. Then I screwed in a strap lock post.

Sadly i did not do that when I bought my M-85 (wnted to keep it "collectible"). I used one of those plastic strap-lock gizmos but it did not work. You can see the result on another thread. Needless to say, once I got it back from the luthier I pulled and plugged that bass as well.

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
Mine popped outta my PBass. I fixed it and it has been fine since. My bass tech told me to do this:
3 steps. Third step could be most important.:
1. Get a wooden match stick, put some wood glue on it and shove it into the hole. Use more sticks if. Snap/cut off whatever hangs outta da hole.
2. Screw in the strap button, and let it set overnight. Or, let it setup overnight, and screw in the button the next day. Either way.
3. Start diving off of drum kit riders with abandon again.

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Better safe than sorry, especially since you have an "active" stage presence... :)

edwin

Reaction score
I replaced it with an inset strap lock setup. We didn't inset the neck side because the hole would have had to go right through the edge of the binding and my luthier was nervous about that. However, it all worked out great. I still have the pin around here somewhere.