Acorn House small jumbo

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's my latest build, a small jumbo sized acoustic that I'm calling "The Rounder." Bearclaw Sitka top and myrtle back and sides, with a curly maple neck, macassar ebony fingerboard with ebony bindings, bridge, etc.

Heres its web page with more pics and a video clip.

p1030153.jpg

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My hat is off to you! That is one impressive piece of work. :victorious:
Would you care to share the amount of time spent in construction?

Sounds great, too, BTW.

Thanks for sharing,
Joe

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Cool website...the dinner table is nice. Love that arts/crafts look.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks guys.

Joe, it's hard to say how many hours. I started it two years ago at the same time with another small jumbo commission. I worked on both off and on for a while (sometimes really off as my day job took precedence), before focussing on finishing the commission. So, I've really logged the time spent, I really need to do that on the next build. Of course if I did, I might get discouraged how much I make per hour on one of these. :unsure: (Good thing I don't do it for a living!)

FNG, I tried to draw upon some Greene & Greene for that design, while the oak also ties it to more traditional A&C.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That is a beautiful looking and sounding guitar! Very impressive work!

walrus

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks guys.

Joe, it's hard to say how many hours. I started it two years ago at the same time with another small jumbo commission. I worked on both off and on for a while (sometimes really off as my day job took precedence), before focussing on finishing the commission. So, I've really logged the time spent, I really need to do that on the next build. Of course if I did, I might get discouraged how much I make per hour on one of these. :unsure: (Good thing I don't do it for a living!)

FNG, I tried to draw upon some Greene & Greene for that design, while the oak also ties it to more traditional A&C.

It's a beautiful table. I love the whole arts and crafts/prairie style. Honestly, not taking away from the guitar, I'd rather have the table than the guitar!!!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Beautiful, Chris.... just BEAUTIFUL!! Your work is stunning and inspiring. Thanks for sharing it with us!!! :encouragement:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Originally, I was going to install a black pickguard to go with all of the ebony appointments. Then, after the finish was on, I couldn't bring myself to cover any of the bearclaw, so I got some clear pickguard material from a trip to StewMac.
Spent some time on the design of the pickguard to fit the Rounder just right, and not copy any of the standard brands. Did a couple of tries to get clean cuts in the pickguard material. Got it installed.

From less than 10feet away, I can't even tell that there's anything on there!:stupid: