SF Bass Soundpot Decay

idealassets

Reaction score
I believe I heard something about the original Hagestrom pickups having a "soundpot decay". Did I read this right? How would you know how depleated the sound pickup quality might be? Also does this happen just through time, or is it caused by playing the bass a lot?

How about Humbucker bass pickups? Is the same thing likely to happen there too?

Thank you,
Craig

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
WTF is a soundpot decay? If my guess is correct then shouldn't it be a problem with the controls and not the pickups? Regardless I have never heard of this. Closest I have heard is that the magnetic field of some magnets decays over time which could be an issue with any pickup, not just Hagstroms or anyone's humbuckers. That does cause a degradation in sound and reduction in output. I think it was mgod who noted that there are a few Bisonics out there that have not aged well. I suspect, however, they are very few and easily detected by someone who has listened to an undegraded PU.

idealassets

Reaction score
WTF is a soundpot decay? If my guess is correct then shouldn't it be a problem with the controls and not the pickups? Regardless I have never heard of this. Closest I have heard is that the magnetic field of some magnets decays over time which could be an issue with any pickup, not just Hagstroms or anyone's humbuckers. That does cause a degradation in sound and reduction in output. I think it was mgod who noted that there are a few Bisonics out there that have not aged well. I suspect, however, they are very few and easily detected by someone who has listened to an undegraded PU.
That must have been what it was "not aged well". What I am concerned about is that with all the big denaro coming in for vintage electric guitars of all kinds, the wearing out of guitar pickup's is not ordinary then right? Especially on Hagestrom pickups, which seem to be a hot item if vintage and original.

In other words a big consideration in the value of a Starfire bass is that original Hagestrom pickup. So if the pickup is actually shot, it should really devalue that particular guitar?

CG

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think something that is original, looks like a Hagstrom but doesn't sound like one would devalue a guitar. But then I only know what a small handful sound like so maybe I have only heard a degraded sound? If I were truly paranoid then I would never buy a vintage instrument that I had not heard played through electronics that I was familiar with. But I'm not in the market so my paranoia is meaningless.