Bisonic vs Hummies

idealassets

Reaction score
2 Starfire Basses on the Ric site

This was on the Rickenbacker guitar site; a guy that has a 67' and 73' Stafire basses with a youtube A/B clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCnqR5yxEFU
As you might have guessed he may sell the 73', but not the 67', hmm where have I heard that before?

Its interesting that SF basses have shown up over on the Ric site. Meanwhile if anyone twists my arm again about me playing bass for them it will be with a Ric 4003. I feel that my Starfire is a bit of a relic, but I wouldn't mind putting some wear on a current year Ric bass. Also I like the look of the Ric basses.

CG

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Meanwhile if anyone twists my arm again about me playing bass for them it will be with a Ric 4003. I feel that my Starfire is a bit of a relic, but I wouldn't mind putting some wear on a current year Ric bass. Also I like the look of the Ric basses.

CG

Pardon the veer, but have you ever played a Ric bass Craig? I've played a bunch of them, and have yet to find one that moves me. All of them felt cheap to me. YMMV, of course.

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Pardon the veer, but have you ever played a Ric bass Craig? I've played a bunch of them, and have yet to find one that moves me. All of them felt cheap to me. YMMV, of course.

Wow! I played Ricks pretty much exclusively from 1976 to 2002. I found them to be well made and nicely balanced on the strap. In fact, it's a toss-up between my Blackstar and my JS-II when it comes to how great they feel in my hands.

But these were all older examples. I cannot comment on the newer guitars.

And, of course, in these things, each person's reaction to a give instrument can and often is radically different!

Last edited:

idealassets

Reaction score
Sandy,
I will probably drive to the Detroit area to try one- plenty of Ric dealers there. I was asked by the church band if I was a bass player, since they have been going without one. We'll see how that goes tomorrow. Funny!- I didn't think that I looked like a typical bass player, but I was asked if I was.

After obtaining a Ric 360/12 (12 string) 2 years ago I have been on the Ric site. Its a fun place, and they are congenial to other Ric players, especially new recruits. There are a lot of bass players there. My own questions to the bass players have revealed that the playing style, and looks of the Ric basses were a big consideration (if anyone would actually care to admit it). It has been suggested that I pick one out sight seen, to make certain it would be the right one for me.

But you also pose an interesting point with the Jack Casidy signature bass. This bass seems to be catching on with some of the current bands playing on Leno and Letterman lately. It depends on whether folks like the semi hollow sound or not. Here in Fender heaven such a bass would be an oddity, even if you try to explain it to them.

Craig

Last edited:

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
After obtaining a Ric 360/12 (12 string) 2 years ago I have been on the Ric site. Its a fun place, and they are congenial to other Ric players, especially new recruits. There are a lot of bass players there. My own questions to the bass players have revealed that the playing style, and looks of the Ric basses were a big consideration (if anyone would actually care to admit it).

Think of what "we" grew up with. It was pretty much one bass sound = Fender bass through an Ampeg B-15. Very uniform, until we got to hear when Casady & Lesh migrated over to Bisonics. But there was another sound that appeared around then, first via Entwhistle using Rotos on any number of basses and then Chris Squier.

Yeah, Ricky basses look cool, but I'd wager that 90% of guys my age bought Ricks because of Yes.

In my case, I made the switch from my Jack Bruce inspired EB-3 to Rickenbacker in 1976 partly because of Yes. But also partly because the '68 4005 bass hanging in the pawnshop window looked very, very lovely. Like the bass version of a 360-12! But also because I realized that rock music was changing and I wanted to play punk. A Ricky was outstanding for that.

A long-winded way of saying looks were not all that a decisive factor for most of us.... though I guess those Rickenbackers do have a nice look.

I still use one, for the sound.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was asked by the church band if I was a bass player, since they have been going without one. We'll see how that goes tomorrow. Funny!- I didn't think that I looked like a typical bass player, but I was asked if I was.

There may be an element of desperation and they are asking everybody who seems to exhibit some knowledge of music. Or maybe they have heard your drumming? I've been asked to play percussion, which I don't do well, but says something about how my bass playing is perceived :)

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, Ricky basses look cool, but I'd wager that 90% of guys my age bought Ricks because of Yes.

And the other 10% of Ric owners bought them because of Starr Stowe. (Google it, the image you want is NSFW and circa February 1977 with an Azureglo Model 4001).

idealassets

Reaction score
Chris Squire, of course, didn't the bass player for Rush also use a Ric for many years? Its really interesting that the standard was set for rock music and continues in the same vein today. So most of the sounds that were laid down are continuing, and the instruments that were used live on.

Craig

johnbiscuti

Reaction score
Glad you guys liked the clip!

Veering off into a spirited Rickenbacker discussion is always welcome as well. :)

hagmeat

Reaction score
Glad you guys liked the clip!

Veering off into a spirited Rickenbacker discussion is always welcome as well. :)

Welcome to LTG John.

Not very spirited, but I`ve always thought that the shape of the Guild B301/2 bass body was inspired by the shape of a Rickenbacker bass.

Cheers. Rob.